MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mn/DOT Benchmarking Interest Assessment
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Mn/DOT Benchmarking Interest Assessment Reply with quote

The board is in contact with a GIS Analyst from the Geodetic Unit at Mn/DOT in St. Paul. They are looking at starting a project that would be used to catalog and recover over 65,000 survey marks throughout the state and are wondering what kind of interest geocachers might have in helping with this.

Put simply, he would like to know how many geocachers are looking for benchmarks and how many would be interested in helping out by going to an additional website to log your "find" in the interest of helping the state out.

So-- do you benchmark? If yes, would you be willing to "log" it once again on a separate website?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly are they looking for from us? Just verification that the BM is still where it should be, as described?

It used to be that a large number of the BMs were loggable at gc.com, but over time that percentage has dropped as gc.com hasn't kept their database up to date. Eventually I quit looking for them (quit stopping for BM signs when I saw them) as everything I looked at wasn't on the site, so there was absolutely no point in looking at them.

I wouldn't mind reporting back to the state through a simple website that I found one, but I'm not clear what data they are looking for regarding them. I doubt I would pull over to find one or spend time just searching them out, but wouldn't have a problem with reporting what I came across.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind everything is very preliminary at this stage. They are in talks with Detroit Lakes geocachers to discuss project feasibility and we will know more after their December 11th meeting.

Though details were not made clear to me via email, I would guess that they will be looking for coordinates and verification though this is just my guess. I have directed the contact to this forum post to better facilitate gauging levels of interest.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, then I would have no problem with reporting what I see, but probably wouldn't go out of my way to do ones that I'm not already out of the vehicle for.

The site would almost need to have a way of searching for the BM by county & disk stamp (if they are still in the designing phase). Any other way would probably be too cumbersome for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
m&tcacheseekers
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we just started looking more into benchmarks and we would be glad to help out.. going to another website to log them would be no problem with us
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they had a better way of looking up benchmark locations (I find their current map site hard to use) I would help out more, otherwise, if I find one, I'd be willing to report the disc condition.

I think it'd be great if they had a list of disc sites that they haven't found in a while and want someone to check up on them, listed in order of time since last found.

Last edited by sir_zman on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Mn/DOT Benchmarking Interest Assessment Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
The board is in contact with a GIS Analyst from the Geodetic Unit at Mn/DOT in St. Paul. They are looking at starting a project that would be used to catalog and recover over 65,000 survey marks throughout the state and are wondering what kind of interest geocachers might have in helping with this.

Put simply, he would like to know how many geocachers are looking for benchmarks and how many would be interested in helping out by going to an additional website to log your "find" in the interest of helping the state out.

So-- do you benchmark? If yes, would you be willing to "log" it once again on a separate website?

I will keep my answer simple and say I would be interested...
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, why not? I don't know that I would go out of my way to look for one, but if I was in the area I would give it a shot.
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I find one when I'm caching I make note of it and try and find it. I'd be willing to log BM's I find in the wild.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't pay much attention to them unless I come across one in passing or if I am doing a KB puzzle.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stop for BMs.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
I stop for BMs.

Me Too!!! Otherwise caching would be a real mess!!! Shocked
Laughing Wink Laughing
firstbass
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
King Boreas wrote:
I stop for BMs.

Laughing Wink Laughing

I was waiting for this. Smile

Trust me, these are my initials, so I've heard every BM joke there is. That's why I always include my middle initial. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topic check, heh?
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

firstbass wrote:
ArcherDragoon wrote:
King Boreas wrote:
I stop for BMs.

Laughing Wink Laughing

I was waiting for this. Smile

Trust me, these are my initials, so I've heard every BM joke there is. That's why I always include my middle initial. Smile

I was only told (at an event) that it was firstbass (as in base) versus firstbass (as in fish)...
You secret with the initials is safe with me...I won't tell a soul!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Benchmarking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: