MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accepting Cache of the Month Nominations-October 2008

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Accepting Cache of the Month Nominations-October 2008 Reply with quote

Accepting Nominations...

Although I will accept nominations at any time, this thread is to remind everyone that I am accepting Nominations for Cache of the Month for October of 2008. You can submit COTM nominations to me using one of the following three methods…1) Send me a Private Message through MNGCA.org or 2) Send me an Email at Arch283Co@aol.com or 3) Post a nomination in this thread. Nominations need to be written in a way that gives the reader a spoiler-free description of what make the cache special. You must include the Cache Owner, Cache Name and Waypoint with your nomination. Your nomination must also include a brief write-up for the cache (at least a sentence...but I would prefer something a bit longer...I honestly think we are capable of writing a couple sentences or a nice paragraph).

A further explanation of the cache of the month process can be found Here!!!

Thanks,
ArcherDragoon
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received a couple COTM Nominations for October...if you sent me an email or PM'd me, you should have gotten a response back confirming I received it...

Fargnot (at least that is who I believe the message was from)...I received an email...but nothing was in the message once I forwarded it to my email at home...except for a couple phrases here and there...could you resend the email to Arch283Co@aol.com...

Thanks,
ArcherDragoon
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:

Fargnot (at least that is who I believe the message was from)...I received an email...but nothing was in the message once I forwarded it to my email at home...except for a couple phrases here and there...could you resend the email to Arch283Co@aol.com...

I don't believe they read the forum on a regular basis. You'll probably want to contact them directly.
fargnot
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GCQ6D4 Cliff Hanger by Eskoclimber Nominated by Fargnot

Momandson2006 and I recently traveled to Duluth to complete our 1000th find together. We wanted a very challenging cache that was out of the ordinary. After looking at several caches in the state and a few in Canada we settled on this one because we felt it would give us a memorable experience to commemorate our milestone. So we took Eskoclimber up on his standing offer to take anyone at any time on an adventure of a lifetime.

After experiencing this cache with several geocachers from the area we were not disappointed. I came away from the experience more excited about geocaching than ever before, it was the real deal. I would have to call Esko’s cache the complete geocaching experience, a package deal. He supplies all of the technical equipment, a very knowledgeable guide, lots of humor, and beautiful scenery. If you want to live to talk about it, all you have to do is follow instructions, but what really stands out is the opportunity to face your fears and overcome them in a safe environment. The caching experience is set up in such a way that anyone who attempts the cache is capable of being successful. You end up finding not only the container but an extra measure of self-worth.

What has always drawn me to geocaching as a whole is the premise that it has something to offer for everyone and this cache does a better job than most. If you like to hike, climb, socialize, or just sit and knit then Cliff Hanger is for you. It can be as easy as you like or as demanding as you can take. In fact, it is my belief that GCQ6D4 can meet the needs of any geocacher looking for excitement and adventure or rest and relaxation. I would even go as far as to promise, for some it will even be a spiritual experience. Yes, it has it all, just like a good movie that you want to go and experience again and again and again ……….
stickerooni
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GC1C5FQ - Cache With A View - by lizs, nominated by stickerooni.

There is a uniqueness to this cache that I haven't experienced before. It is both difficult and easy in a way that is difficult to explain. Only those four of us who've found it can probably identify with this.

It starts with simply trying to find the area. I've been to the area before, but for first-timers, getting to the correct parking lot might be a challenge. And there are two unique hiking trails in the area. lizs does a good job of planting a separate cache to help cachers get on to the correct trail. And from there, the hike is quite easy, taking you through beautiful wooded land and alongside a farmers field, currently planted with corn.

But as you get close to the cache, the terrain changes, becoming rocky and sun-exposed, perfect for the rattlesnakes that have been reported in the area. A new element is added to the cache hunt. Maintaining an eye out for predators!

About 100' from GZ, the path seems to disappear. Do you need to bushwack? A fierce cliffside (possibly with dangerous snakes) or a strong thicket are your choices.

All in all, as I left the cache, I realized that I was sweating, but not necessarily from the hike or climb itself, but from the total environment of the cache. The walk itself was easy. It was the total package. A nice, long-ish walk with a challenge.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stickerooni wrote:
GC1C5FQ - Cache With A View - by lizs, nominated by stickerooni.

Have not found this cache as it is new since I've been there last spring. But I've been on the Wet Bark Trail several times and within 100 yards of this cache. It is awesome area.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 83pony

I would like to take a crack at that one of Annakido's in Winona again, only now its called "A Hobbits Trail: The Lair of Smaug, GC1F6ZX. She has put a lot of work and thought into this one, which is now a 2 Phase Multi. Phase 1 is where the old Kitchen Cove used to be (so you still get to see the Kitchen Cove) only the container has changed. Phase 2 will lead you a little ways down the trail to "the lair". Check it out. Chapskis1 says its the best cache he has found yet. Get before the snow flies tho, as the trails on the bluffs of Winona can get quite precarious. Watch for those mugglers tho, as the college kids even like this climb and area.

I will get October posted tomorrow...but a bit late in the day.
Thanks,
ArcherDragoon
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: