MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

unlisted benchmarks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlagFinder
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: unlisted benchmarks Reply with quote

recently i have been stumbleing on benchmarks that are not even on the site. ive fouind about 10-15 of them many of them are ramsey county benchmarks which seem fairly new but i also found a 1960 one out in the middle of the woods near some posen caches near the resivoir i have pics of almost all of them but they are fairly bad

so what unlisted benchmarks have you found?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all benchmarks are USGS. I believe that the gc.com tracking is for USGS benchmarks only. You can virtually go to every bridge over the interstate system and find a DOT benchmark. Many highrises structures have benchmarks located within a mile as survey points for the construction.

I don't think that it is practical to try and track every benchmark out there. But if thats your thing, go for it. Laughing
FlagFinder
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many that i find (listed) are from the highway dept. and the one i found in the woods i think was labeled hwy dept.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
meralgia
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: vertical control disks--what's their purpose? Reply with quote

Recently I found a vertical control disk with no numbers on it. What are the vertical control discs used for? And since there is no number, I'm guessing it can't be logged?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess it's an elevation marker.

What were the markings that were on it? Often times there are reference marks (RMs) that set up where the actual station disk is.
meralgia
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vertical control mark
-
for information or to report damage with
commissioner
minnesota highway dept
st. paul, minn
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meralgia wrote:
vertical control mark
-
for information or to report damage with
commissioner
minnesota highway dept
st. paul, minn

That would be pretty hard to log, yes.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Not all benchmarks are USGS. I believe that the gc.com tracking is for USGS benchmarks only.

And they seem to be missing a lot of those... And they are using a database that was probably out of date when they first got it, and hasn't ever been updated since then...
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gc.com database was last updated by a CD from NGS in something like November of 2003 or 2004.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
The gc.com database was last updated by a CD from NGS in something like November of 2003 or 2004.

?? Here are three marks which apparently not been updated lately.. The first two were marked destroyed in 2001, and the last one was reported "not found" in 2001 and 2004 and destroyed in 2005.

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=PP3370
http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=PP0867
http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=PP2567
msrubble
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meralgia, it might just be new. Was there recent road or bridge construction in the area?

I found a standard MnDOT aluminum disk on a bridge in Hutchinson, with no designation/stamping. There was construction going on at the time. That one was not in the geocaching.com database.
Kalli01
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found one yesterday.it had on it (4Rc1952)i tried even to put in the coords at it and could find nothing.its up by brimson.lots of times i can't get it to find the right place and i don't know how to check it differently.the page only gives you 3 options.does any one have any sugestions on how to find benchmarks?thanks for any help Kalli01
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalli01 wrote:
i found one yesterday.it had on it (4Rc1952)i tried even to put in the coords at it and could find nothing.its up by brimson.lots of times i can't get it to find the right place and i don't know how to check it differently.the page only gives you 3 options.does any one have any sugestions on how to find benchmarks?thanks for any help Kalli01

The majority of benchmarks aren't in the gc.com database at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is up to the agencies, MnDOT, WiDOT, etc., involved to submit their benchmarks to the National Geodetic Survey.
I've found old marks from the 1920s and 1930s that haven't been in the national database. Darn it anyway.

You can go the National Geodetic Survey and look up benchmarks directly. You can search for them much the same way as on gc.com. Since their database is current as the information submitted to them, you'll have a better chance of finding those wayward marks. Of course that won't help you log the find on gc.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Benchmarking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: