MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Oregon Series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Garmin Oregon Series Reply with quote

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/10/garmin-gets-official-with-the-oregon-200-300-and-400-nav-units/

Quote:
As expected, Garmin has gone official with their new Oregon 200, 300, and 400 nav units. To make things extra confusing, the Oregon 400 includes the 400c, 400t, and 400i. The outdoor-friendly PNDs are waterproof, feature high-sensitivity receivers, and sport 3-inch touchscreens. As for the various 400-series units, it's all about your outdoor poison. The 400c is for sea anglers with chart coverage for the coastal US and Bahamas, the 400i is for fresh-water fishers with depth contours and boat ramps for U.S. inland lakes and rivers, and the 400t if for you land-lubbers with preloaded US topographic maps in 3D. Meanwhile, the 300 features a worldwide basemap with shaded relief and the 200 provides just your basic basemap. The units weigh in at just 6.8 ounces, run on AA batteries, and support microSD cards. Pricing is set at $479.99 for the 200, $533.32 for the 300, and $639.99 for the 400.

sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, what an ugly looking unit.

I think John Linnell of They Might Be Giants fame said it best in his solo CD State Songs, in the track titled "Oregon", when he said:

Quote:
Oregon is bad
Stop it if you can
Here it comes
Here it comes
Now it's after you
Flee to some place new
Run away
Run away
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a cross between an I-Phone and colorado? But it is pretty ugly. What market is that intended for I wonder?
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=145&compare=compare&compareProduct=11022&compareProduct=14904

Yeah...basically the touch screen Colorado...(Naming units after states...so have they run out of names??? Laughing Wink Laughing )
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks just like the Colorado to me and for whatever reason people seem to like that unit.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Looks just like the Colorado to me and for whatever reason people seem to like that unit.

There is no antenna, no roll thingy, it's about as much the same as the 60 and 76 are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the garmin blog with the announcement.

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2008/07/plan-a-visit-to.html
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Comparing the specs between the two on the Garmin site, it seems to have the exact same screensize as the Colorado and same features. So it seems to be the same unit but without the antenna and scrollwheel but added touch interface.

Our old GPSr wore down on the buttons due to DEET usage. I wonder how bugspray fingers will affect this touchscreen.

I was about to buy a Colorado this fall but now I'll have to wait until I can test the operation of this unit. As long as Bestbuy will stock them.

-Jonas
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
Interesting. Comparing the specs between the two on the Garmin site, it seems to have the exact same screensize as the Colorado and same features. So it seems to be the same unit but without the antenna and scrollwheel but added touch interface.

Our old GPSr wore down on the buttons due to DEET usage. I wonder how bugspray fingers will affect this touchscreen.

I was about to buy a Colorado this fall but now I'll have to wait until I can test the operation of this unit. As long as Bestbuy will stock them.

-Jonas

Ask "Colorado"Brad...he may have contacts Wink (or is he going to change is name to "Oregon"Brad???)
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am writing Garmin right now to ask if they could change the name of the new units to Minnesota. It's the least they could do for all I have done for them recently! Wink
MN_Cavepeople
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
I am writing Garmin right now to ask if they could change the name of the new units to Minnesota. It's the least they could do for all I have done for them recently! Wink

I asked Garmin about the "Minnesota" unit as well and they said they are working on it. Some of its features are (all in good fun):

- "GeoDrama" mode: The unit will argue with you every step of the way.
- 2 models: "Garmin Minnesota - Metro", and "Garmin Minnesota - Rural"
- "Magellan Mode": Will automatically skew the GPS grid 30' out of accurate alignment to assist in finding caches hidden using "those other" units.
- "Minutes" function: Will automatically post the minutes of a meeting between 2 or more cachers "on-the-trail" in a timely fashion.
- "CDANF": Co-ordinate Disagreement Auto Notification Function will automatically post "Co-ordinates are a bit off" to the GC.com page of every cache which does not appear to be at your exact ground zero at the time you arrive at the cache site. Unfortunately it will not provide additional information such as how far it is off and in what direction at this time.
- "Garmin Anti-Social": Will automatically emit a high-pitched, earsplitting alarm whenever it detects social activities ocuring at an MnGCA event in order to bring an abrupt end to this controversial activity.
- "Random Hint Generator": Will fill in empty hint fields with helpful information such as "No Hint Needed", "Hints will be provided upon request after you log a DNF", "Park on the shoulder of Main Street", "Sorry, but a hint would spoil your fun" etc.
- "PTD": Park Time Detector will automatically delete your log if the unit detects that you found a cache outside of legal park hours to save vigilant cache owners the trouble.

Laughing Razz
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Caveperson, you owe me a new keyboard and monitor -- jerk Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: