MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GSAK and DeLorme
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bus&Betty
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The update to the macro (now version 1.2) adds the option to prepend or append the page number to the County name. You will see a new variable $gPrepend near the top of the script set it to true or false. yada-yada-yada.... Smile

The updates to the shape files (sixteen updates actually) corrects the problem Betty mentioned in the forum about DeLorme pages 24, 25, and 26. Don't know why the problem manifested itself that way, but whatever, it is fixed.

Bus
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a headache.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
I have a headache.

Yeah, but as a nerd, it's music to my ears.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
I have a headache.

Try running the macro...
Your headache will turn into a smile. Laughing

Very nice Rooo0000bbbbeeeeeerrrrrrrrrttttoooo!!!!
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

Macro:
http://www.pearhead.org/DeLorme.gsk

Shapefiles:
http://www.pearhead.org/gpsbabel-arc-delorme.zip

I have updated my files to v 1.2. The URLs remain the same.
MNSearchers
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slick, very slick. Worked first time so I avoided KB's headache.
For the the SD Delorme challenge we obtained a "grid" that was basically a route on your GPS. You could then load this route to the GPSand the Delorme grid would be superimposed if you will, on your GPS. Works great as well when you use Garmin Mapsource on the laptop.
Is there anything like that for the Minn Delorme challenge? If no I can analyze the SD one and figure out how to make one. Its a square route
Very Happy Very Happy shouldn't be that tough.

MNSearchers (formerly known as Sodak Searchers3, but no one has a macro to change it in this forum Cool )
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a gpx file that contains routes (I believe) for each page. The file loads nicely in Google Earth and shows the boundaries of each page.

Before I release it to the masses, I would like one person to verify that the page numbers are numbered correctly in Google Earth. I don't own the atlas so that's sort of hard for me to do.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For the the SD Delorme challenge we obtained a "grid" that was basically a route on your GPS. You could then load this route to the GPSand the Delorme grid would be superimposed if you will, on your GPS. Works great as well when you use Garmin Mapsource on the laptop.

Several months ago I created a Mapsource file with each of the Minnesota pages as a route. You're welcome to it if it's useful to you.

Download it here.

edit by PH to fix quote problem
MNSearchers
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Several months ago I created a Mapsource file with each of the Minnesota pages as a route. You're welcome to it if it's useful to you.

Thanks that should get me where I want to be.
The one I have for SD uses a Track on the GPS, not sure how it was build but somehow with all the info I have found here I will get to caching nirvana.... I think Laughing
Bus&Betty
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an updated version of my DeLorme macro.

The new version (1.4) has the Minnesota DeLorme page shape files embedded in the macro. When you run the macro the first time, it installs the shape files. Smile

Note: Please delete the C:\DeLorme directory on your machine before running this version of the macro. It will recreate the directory and create all the required files.

DISCLAIMER: I'm assuming that the only thing the C:\delorme directory was used for is the previous version of the Delorme macro. If you have other data in that directory, YOU must save it elsewhere.

After that, it prompts the user for some options with a graphical interface.

1. All records or just the ones that have a blank "User Data" field?

Note: If all records have a non-blank "User Data" field, the macro will process all records.

2. For the "User Data 2" field, should the macro put the DeLorme page number before or after the County name? (41-Anoka or Anoka-41).

Note: You must run the County.gsk macro before the DeLorme macro if you want the County names in the "User Data 2" field.

3. Do you want to use the DeLorme page shape files for all the states or one individual state?

If you select individual state, the macro will present you with a selection list of the currently installed states. You select the state of your choice. (Minnesota is the only state currently available).

One last note regarding the Minnesota DeLorme shape files: The shape files embedded in version 1.4 of the macro are bounded by the state . This means that Richland County in North Dakota will not be catagorized as Minnesota DeLorme page 50. Laughing

I will mail the updated macro to Pear Head.

Pear Head, Will be so kind as to update the posting? The gps-babel-arc-delorme.zip file is no longer required.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Macro:
http://www.pearhead.org/DeLorme.gsk

I have updated the macro to v1.4 and remove the old zip file containing the shape files.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just looking into this for the first time...so now I have the User1 field populated with County data (I don't so much care about Delorme data), so now what? how does this help me? Are there Macros that generate reports of the county's done, and the county's left to do? I guess I just don't understand how this is helpful?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bus&Betty
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I'm just looking into this for the first time...so now I have the User1 field populated with County data (I don't so much care about Delorme data), so now what? how does this help me? Are there Macros that generate reports of the county's done, and the county's left to do? I guess I just don't understand how this is helpful?

We found it helpful when doing the county and DeLorme challenges. Outside of that, I am not sure what the value would be.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus&Betty wrote:
We found it helpful when doing the county and DeLorme challenges. Outside of that, I am not sure what the value would be.

How did you find it helpful, how did you use the data in the User Fields? Thats what I'm confused about, is what you did with that data.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I'm just looking into this for the first time...so now I have the User1 field populated with County data (I don't so much care about Delorme data), so now what? how does this help me?

1. You can create a filter for the counties you're interested in: Set User Data Contains Dakota, for example.

2. If you want more than one county use a RegEx in the filter: Set User Data RegEx (Dakota|Scott|Lincoln)

This was very helpful when going for the county challenge. Also would be useful if you wanted a more local challenge. Instead of traipsing all over the state, you could challenge yourself to get all the caches in a particular county.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: