MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wi-fi and smartphones

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Wi-fi and smartphones Reply with quote

OK -- if I get a new phone and it has Wi-fi built in -- does that mean I can check my email on that for free at a hotspot like I could on my laptop? Or do I need a data contract and use minutes for that?

I tried to figure this out online but I guess it's too basic a question. Haven't had a smartphone before & wouldn't need to check email often but I wouldn't mind having that capability esp if I could hop on a hotspot for free. And I would like to have PDA/phone in one. I'm assuming the phones with GPS are not good for geocaching.

Thanks for any info.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find a hot spot then you can connect to it via the wi-fi connection. You shouldn't need a data plan to use it. I know quite a few people that have those types of phones and only connect via wi-fi.

As to the gps phones, I've heard there not great for caching itself, but they can be handy for cache management. For example cache mate, and others I suspect, can use the built in gps to show you the nearest caches in the cache mate database.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: