MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cell phone internet access
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't need any additional cables unless you want a car charger. I charge mine every night at home and I never have problems. If you're a *very very* heavy user and you don't give it a 5 hour charge daily, you may have problems with battery life.

I have the leather (with brown stripes) case and I love it. There is one that comes with the device but I don't like it very much.

It comes with it's own e-mail address (i.e. kingb@tmail.com) which works very slick - once someone sends something, you'll immediatly get notified. You won't want to share it, or post that e-mail address, though, as you have no spam protection. You additionally can bind up to 3 different POP accounts and it will check mail from there every 10 minutes or so, or you can force it to check if you're waiting for something. You'll have a POP account from your ISP, but you won't have POP generally from the free webmail sites unless you pay a premium from Yahoo! or Hotmail, for instance.

-Aaron
jonsom
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a cable from Gomadic.com to connect my PDA to Cell Phone (Verizon) and am now able to browse the Internet, but I keep receiving an error message when I try to view geocaching.com any ideas? It work well for other web sites I visit.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take that to the geocaching.com forums. Be clear as to what browser you're using on your PDA. Blazer? Opera?

Very likely it's geocaching.com's fault, not your PDA/Browser's.

-Aaron
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently use my wife's Samsung phone with Sprint's $10/mo Vision Unlimited add-on and a USB data cable to connect that to my laptop. I get 60-120 kbits/sec when browsing the internet that way.

But its my wife's phone, which means I can't always borrow it. So I am thinking of getting another cell phone. The HipTop looks attractive, and seems to have a USB port. But I haven't been able to determine if the USB port can be used as a data modem so a laptop can also be connected to it. I like the idea of being able to browse with or without the laptop connected. But if I can't connect the big-screen laptop to it, then its a non-starter.

Anybody know the answer?

-Rick
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USB port can't be used for anything other than "software recovery" and managing the device if you have the device keyed. (i.e. testing apps if you're a developer) More info on that at http://developer.danger.com/

In the end, I don't think the hiptop will meet your needs, rickrich.

-Aaron
trypnotic79
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI I got my Amazon.com $220 rebate check last week. Took about five weeks. You're suppose to send them a copy of your first month bill, but T-mobile doesn't actually bill you until you've used your month up - in otherwords, they don't charge you one month in advance. I don't have enough cell phone billing experience to recall correctly if that's static through the industry... SO four weeks later after I got my bill, I was able to send in the paperwork then FIVE weeks later I got my check -- not bad, they were advertising 6-8 weeks and I know they were pretty overwhelmed with the offer.

At this time, it looks as though they have the exact same offer now as they did in January when I got my sidekick. $50 T-mobile rebate which came about two weeks after I got the phone... and a $220 Amazon.com rebate.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A garmin rhino with inet access, now that would be a cool product.

Our cell phones have gps in them, too bad you can't use it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: