MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new Magellan trition 300

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LorenzoTheBull
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: My new Magellan trition 300 Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm new to geocaching and still have not gone on a search and the reason is. I can't seem to put in coordinates on my gps. every time i do i get Invalid coordinate. The one thing i have noticed is that the decimal point does not come on and i cant add one. If any one can help me I would appreciate it. Also is there a class or group meeting where us newbies and you caggie veterans can give us help.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Lorenzo
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you're trying to enter coordinates in a format that is different from what your GPS expects.

Geocaching uses DD MM.MMM, where D=degrees and M=minutes (and decimal minutes). Other formats include DD MM SS (where S=seconds) and DD.DDDD (decimal degrees). You probably need to change what your GPS is expecting.

I've only held a Magellan once for about 30 seconds, so I'm not really the guy to ask, but there are others here that use them and can probably guide you further.

There aren't really any classes or anything, although depending on where you're at you can probably hook up with another local cacher to help you out.

There is a group that goes out most every Wednesday night in the metro area - look in the events forum to see what their next place is (once they post it).
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the Triton line has had a lot of issues. I had a Triton 2000 and had to take it back. Are you a premium member of geocaching? If so you should use the Magellan VantagePoint program to download your caches into the Triton.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: