MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10th annual National TV Turn-off Week...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: 10th annual National TV Turn-off Week... Reply with quote

Hey gang,

I have just recently been informed of what I believe to be a great idea... National TV Turn-off Week (see here for more information.) A movement to get people to turn off the TV for just one week out of the year and attempt to find more beneficial activities to do during their new-found free time.

I figured that since we are all cachers and share the same free-time passion that this would be a great opportunity to invite everyone out to do some night caching and socializing.

Kitch and I usually hit one cache a week during the evening and then head out for beverages and food afterward. We have had such illustrious guests as whatsagps, s4xton, and St. Pauli Gryl (or the cacher formerly known as AZG). It's mostly just a fun time and something to do rather than sitting around thinking about caching while watching TV and cleaning up after dinner...

I am tentatively planning this non-event event for Tuesday April 20th at 8pm. I haven't picked a specific cache yet but that's where your suggestions would come in. I am less interested in which cache we do and more interested in getting people outdoors and away from the TV Smile All you need to bring is yourself, your flashlight, and your GPS Smile

If you're interested just post below...

Happy cachin',
Silent Bob
Joelcam
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could make it, but I'm staying home to watch the new episodes of
Rock Me Baby and Girlfriends on the UPN. Wink
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm there for sure.

I've done this TV Turn-off Week for years, and it's to the point where I haven't really owned a television for about 5 years. Okay, I lie a little bit - I had a TV in my closet for awhile, unplugged, that I pulled out and turned on for 9/11 breifly if I remember correctly. I later sold that TV for $20 to a neighbour.

Before the conversation turns into a pro/anti television thread, I will say that it's very interesting to see popular programming on television when you're not accustomed to it. I'll mention notably: "laugh tracks," ad placement and commercials, and the kind of writing people use to sell to large audiences.

Either you're a big television fan or not, (and I understand there's a lot of great programming out there) I believe it's a quality thing to cut the TV out for a week and do other things.

...and before you label me as weird for not having a TV, I have a very hard time trying to survive a week without Internet access. The last time I have been more than 7 days without Internet access was in rural Bulgaria in August 2000. I do not recall if there was a time before that since I've been "connected."

-Aaron
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOELCAM..that's what TIVO is for....I'm sure since you are in the "biz" you could do some kinda of a write off for it!!!!

I'd say it was to look for "screenshots" to improve my skillz
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joelcam wrote:
I wish I could make it, but I'm staying home to watch the new episodes of
Rock Me Baby and Girlfriends on the UPN. Wink

I think that the new episode of Style Court is on that night so I probably can't make it. Wink

Sounds like fun! I would love to come and will have to wait until next week to see what's up. Great idea SB.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can't make it, but I don't watch too much TV anyhow since I work evenings, even though I do tape NYPD Blue, Survivor, CSI, and ER, and I'll catch the local headlines and weather if I'm still up at 5am in the morning. But while I'm at work, I'll wish I was out night caching, and in keeping with the spirit, I won't watch any TV next week.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this didn't get the reaction I was hoping for (unlike the poison ivy on my forearm) I have picked a couple possible caches to do tonight before we head over for "after caching treats" at a nearby establishment...

merkong's Highland Park or "The Tenth Hole"

Good-Boy's The Road To Nowhere

or Candy Apple Green's !%#$!!&! Clown!

Feel free to post below Smile
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can skip outta work at 8pm ...takes me about 10mins to get to the

"#*($*@ Clownz" site!!!

I'd suggest we start there the park does close at 10PM on the NORTH side of hidden falls.....

There is a few caches in this area of the park that could make for some nice night caching.....

such as Hidden Falls north by merkong
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked That's tonight??

Gack! Jill is having people over specifically to watch 24. Why oh why does geocaching always interfere with Jillibean's plans?!?

Crying or Very sad
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8:15 at !%#$!!&! Clown! then?

Kitch- as you've been there before, do you have parking coordinates or instructions - so we don't end up on opposite sides of the park like last time? =)

-Aaron
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:
Gack! Jill is having people over specifically to watch 24. Why oh why does geocaching always interfere with Jillibean's plans?!?

24 hasn't been nearly as riveting this season as it was last... I have lost all interest.

Giving up TV isn't easy but I spent last night on the computer, cleaning my apartment, making food, and sitting on my porch drinking Sammy Smith's Oatmeal Stout Smile

It was a good trade off.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ci.stpaul.mn.us/depts/parks/userguide/hiddenfalls.htm#hiddenfallsmaps

USE THE MAGOFFIN ENTRANCE!!!! PARK IN THE FIRST LOT YOU SEE!!!!!!! At bottom of the hill!!!

WE gotta be outta of the park at 10pm prompt on this one!!!!!
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there at 8:15. There's some good bars around the Ford Parkway/Clev. Ave area... I would be okay with finding one CAG cache with a lot of stars in the rain and at night, and then going for drinks...

Who else is coming? Everyone here's invited...

-Aaron
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go, but unfortunately, I'm saving my 100th find for my washington trip, and I'm at 99 now...

Good luck to you all though, hope the group is able to find that one.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm saving my 100th find for my washington trip

Saving 100 for Washington instead of a CAG cache?
I almost positive that means you can never be a member of the CAG fanclub then.....but I gotta check with the PRES. of the club "SB"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: