MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colorado vs 60CSx

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Garmin Colorado Vs 60CSx which is better?
Colorado
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
60CSx
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Colorado vs 60CSx Reply with quote

I'm looking to get a newer gps. Which is better the Colorado or 60CSx? Are you getting must more "bang for the buck" with the Colorado?

Thanks for your feedback.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I don't own the Colorado it would be tough to vote. But on the surface, I love everything about it except the new dial and button layout.
cstjohn
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you know in a week Very Happy

Got the new Colorado on Friday - the City Navigator for it arrives tomorrow. Haven't had it out caching yet, but I REALLY like the paperless caching pages.
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 76CSx which is along the lines of the 60CSx and a 400t and I like the colorado better. It took a little bit to get used to since it is a completely different system to navigate around in but other than that I like it. I modified my GSAK GPX generation software to export the decoded hints as well so I get the decoded hint and the cache description so that is working well too.

Ron Gerth
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonGerth wrote:
I modified my GSAK GPX generation software to export the decoded hints as well so I get the decoded hint and the cache description so that is working well too.

Ron Gerth

I don't use GSAK with my Colorado and get all the hints from my GPX pocket query file. All I do is drag and drop the GPX file into the Colorado.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 60 or 76 and the Colorado series are very different.

The link below does a good job and comparing the two GPSrs.

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Colorado+vs+60csx

There are many new features with the Colorado that the 60 or 76 don't have. And there are many features on the 60 that the Colorado doesn't have.

Most notably the Colorado has a much lower battery life. The screen is a higher resolution. You can not delete individual Geocaches. Geocaches show up on the screen using the associated type icon (traditional, multi, puzzle etc).

The 300 is the basic level Colorado and you will need to buy City Navigator if you want detailed streets and the ability to autoroute. The 400t comes with TOPO installed.

Unlike the 60 where you interface with GSAK or other application to transfer your waypoints to the GPSr all you have to do is drag your GPX file to the directory on the Colorado. It can handle 2000 geocaches vs the 1000 that can be held in the 60.

I would suggest that if you have the opportunity to get a Colorado in hand do so before you make the decision one way or the other.
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you drag and drop the gpx file onto the colorado? I assume that you create the pq at gc.com but that limits you to 500 caches. where do you create the gpx file at and with what? I have been going into GSAK and exporting a gpx file with 1000 caches in it to the GPX folder on the colorado. It sounds like I am missing the boat someplace though. Can you help me?

Thanks

Ron
cstjohn
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure you are missing the boat at all.

With the Colorado you do have the option to drag and drop. I unzip a pocket query to my Desktop, highlight the 2 files, Cut, Go to the Colorado/GPX directory and paste. This is nice, but you get what is in the pocket queries and only what is in the pocket queries. As mentioned, the Colorado does hold 2000 waypoints so you could move over 4 pocket queries to the GPX directory (8 files total). The Colorado has no problem handling multiple GPX files.

You can also use GSAK. They had the macro ready some time ago to send to the Colorado. Then you can manipulate your data (remove caches you don't want, etc).

I had some problems with my Colorado initially (400t), but upgrading to 2.51 has solved the issues. I eliminated GSAK from my steps early on in order to troubleshoot the problems, but now that the problems are fixed I'm going to return to using GSAK to send the data.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CO is a memory device GPSr. When connected to your computer it will show up as one or two additional drives depending on whether you have a SD card installed in the CO. All you do is copy the GPX file to the memory of the CO.
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I down loaded the macro and ran it and it worked great. Thank you very very much.

Ron Gerth
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, had a chance to play with it (the Colorado, GSAK Macro, 2000 cache setup) and have a question.

I loaded a local search when I got the directions from you all and wanted to play with it. Then yesterday I took the unit along on a quick trip to Cheyenne to pick off some caches while I was there. Between getting the macro and running it and then rerunning it to update the caches before I went down there 2 caches got disabled (darned muggles). Both of them showed up as huntable on the Colorado. I got there and looked for them and when I got home and checked the GC.com page they were disabled and had been before I ran my final pocket query to get ready for the run. They still showed up as good on the screen and on the geocache screen. Now for the questions

Is there a way to set something up so that they will get taken off line on the unit? I have GSAK set so that unavailable caches are not in the final query so in theory they should not get sent to the unit.

Should I delete the GPX file from the colorado when I am going to reload the data just to make sure that this doesn't happen? I figure that would work but also figure that somebody probably has a solution to this problem as well so I figured I would ask.

Thank you very much for all of the information prior to this, it made yesterday's trip a great one. I got 9 caches and searched for 2 more in about a 3 hours span of time which for this area is great. My most in one day was 12 but that was with a total day of about 10 hours with all of the driving, then searching, then driving.

Ron Gerth
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you run a pocket query check the box that says "Is Active". Then you will not get archived or disabled caches in your query.
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I am kind of a slow learner but am learning Smile I do like the unit though, had great luck caching with it.

Ron Gerth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: