MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin's Edge and Training Center Application

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Garmin's Edge and Training Center Application Reply with quote

Quote:
----- Forwarded Message ----
To: board@mngca.org
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:44:10 AM
Subject: MnGCA.org Question About the Website (ccyes)

Wednesday 23 April 2008, 11:44:10
Subject: MnGCA.org Question About the Website (ccyes)
Would like to know if you have any members familiar with Garmin's Edge and Training Center application? A few of us will be using Edge and Forerunner units at an upcoming cycling event and was wondering your group had any expertise I could tap into?

Thank you,
Don

Don is monitoring this thread feel free to add any info you may have.
If you have info you would like to share with Don, contact the board and we can get you in contact with him.
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At risk of the persecution I may receive for not have a 'real' GPS, I use the Forerunner 305 (it's a step up in accuracy from my entry level eTrex).

I do like it and don't notice it while I'm running/biking even though some people might feel the 'watch/GPS unit' is heavy or bulky. I don't think you'll have the issue if you go with the edge cause it can be bike mounted (if I remember right). While the software (Training Center) that comes with the unit is ok, I believe motionbased.com is better (motionbased's mapsare MUCH and because the elevation isn't totally accurate [you could run around a totally flat track for a mile and it will probably say you had an elevation change of over 200 feet] it does a much better job of 'fixing' that info). I believe motionbased is owned by garmin and there is info on it included with the edge/forerunner unit. There is a free version (which I have) and at least one level of pay versions [lets you check details on more workouts, gives you advice on how to improve your workouts, etc]. If you go to http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/user/msteffel (please ignore the glacial pace of my running/biking) you'll get a pretty good idea of what all is tracked. I haven't uploaded in a while, but will once I start running/biking outside more.

I also found SportsTracks http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/ which is free to try software (it relies on .net, so it may not work for some folks). They ask for a donation if you use it ($20-$40 depending how much you like it). I thought it was better than Training Center, but not as good as motionbased.com. However, when I looked at it they were on version 1.3, they are now on version 2.0 so not sure how much has changed.

But let me know what questions you have and I'll do my best to answer them. But really isn't much to it. Turn it on and give it 30 seconds to find the satellites, press start when you start your work out, stop when your done and then upload next time you are at your computer. The rest is what you want to do with the data.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big w00t goes out to msteffel for jumping on this and providing Don some help!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: