MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

60CSx POI?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: 60CSx POI? Reply with quote

I can't figure out how to put caches or addresses into the POI part of my gps so that they will not be deleted when I change sets of coords.
1. Is this what is want to do?
2. If so how?
3. I there another method?

Thanks
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 60CSx POI? Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
I can't figure out how to put caches or addresses into the POI part of my gps so that they will not be deleted when I change sets of coords.
1. Is this what is want to do?
2. If so how?
3. I there another method?

Thanks

Check out the POI discussion inside this thread:

http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2991

Does that help answer your question (or does it leave you with more questions)?
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Thanks PH, I wondered how you knew where that was but I see you were right in there on it. It looks like something I am going to have to chew on a bit.
Thanks for the help
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the POI's on my 60 Cx and love them! I use GSAK with a macro program in it to convert and import my PQ's which cover all of Minnesota. All told I can get about 6000+ caches into my GPS in about 5 mins from start to finish, with only about 5 mouse clicks on my part, the rest is just the programs doing the crunching.

I also have separate POI databases for Twins radio stations (handy when you're driving outside the metro, or more accurately KSTPs 5 mile radious of a signal they have) A database that has every NFL, MLB and NHL arena in it, very handy since I cover sports for a living, and then a database that just has different POI's that I use a lot, the TV station I work at, for one so I can get a route quickly and what I love the most when I'm at work, an ETA on when I'll get back.

The two downsides in my opinion to POI's is A. You can't change the little logo when you find a cache, which really isn't a big deal to me, I can look at the Google map on gc.com and remember where all I went when I go to log caches. and B. The fact that you have to have your zoom level at 500 feet to get them to show up on the map. It really isn't too much of an issue, except places like downtown where a bunch of other POI's pop up on the map as well, really cluttering things up. I've read some workarounds on this issue, but I'm too lazy to do a whole lot with it, it works for me.

Holler if you have any specific questions and I'll answer what I can.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any idea on how to get rid of POI's that are on the GPS? I have a few on there and when I try to get rid of them it asks me if I want to save them. No, I want to delete them but it doesn't give me the option to do that. Does anyone have an idea on how to get rid of them from showing up on the screen? Really don't want them on the screen anymore.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
Does anyone have any idea on how to get rid of POI's that are on the GPS? I have a few on there and when I try to get rid of them it asks me if I want to save them. No, I want to delete them but it doesn't give me the option to do that. Does anyone have an idea on how to get rid of them from showing up on the screen? Really don't want them on the screen anymore.

If they are custom POIs, then you must remove them from the source data, which is either gpx or csv files. Then re-run POI loader. It will delete what's there and reload them. I do this all the time with my 60CSx and it works great. I have a macro that will break out the waypoints into categories with custom icons. So I can search for just Multis, Traditional, solved puzzles, etc.

I think that answers the showing up on the screen issue too. If not, you can PM me or reply here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: