MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing loaded caches from GPS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYSandy23
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Removing loaded caches from GPS Reply with quote

I was wondering if there is a way to remove cache information from your GPS once you have uploaded them? If I remember correctly, the Garmin Legend CTX can hold only so many caches at one time. What happens if you reach that number? I travel out of state quite a bit and load caches from those places as well as Minnesota. I thought perhaps one of the "techies" on the Board might know.

Thanks
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing loaded caches from GPS Reply with quote

NYSandy23 wrote:
I was wondering if there is a way to remove cache information from your GPS once you have uploaded them? If I remember correctly, the Garmin Legend CTX can hold only so many caches at one time. What happens if you reach that number? I travel out of state quite a bit and load caches from those places as well as Minnesota. I thought perhaps one of the "techies" on the Board might know.

Thanks

Sure there's a way to delete caches. I delete caches all the time on my gpsr. Seeing that you've found so many caches, I suspect there's more to your question.
NYSandy23
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing loaded caches from GPS Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
NYSandy23 wrote:

Thanks

Sure there's a way to delete caches. I delete caches all the time on my gpsr. Seeing that you've found so many caches, I suspect there's more to your question.

When you mark them found they go in to recently found. Do they ever actually leave your GPS?
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing loaded caches from GPS Reply with quote

NYSandy23 wrote:

When you mark them found they go in to recently found. Do they ever actually leave your GPS?

Only once you delete them. In my garmin quest I change the icon to the open treasure chest when I find a cache. Then I can do a delete by symbol and delete all of the open treasure chest waypoints. I also periodically whack all my waypoints and start over. Then I also have all the child waypoints gone, breadcrumbs, etc gone. I just ordered a 60CSx, but I'll probably do the same with that one too.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Removing loaded caches from GPS Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
NYSandy23 wrote:

Only once you delete them. In my garmin quest I change the icon to the open treasure chest when I find a cache. Then I can do a delete by symbol and delete all of the open treasure chest waypoints. I also periodically whack all my waypoints and start over. Then I also have all the child waypoints gone, breadcrumbs, etc gone. I just ordered a 60CSx, but I'll probably do the same with that one too.

The 60 and 76 will automatically change the icon to an open chest when you mark it found. You can then delete by symbol to delete just those.

I just delete all of the waypoints and then reload my GPS with area caches once a week or so - I don't mess around with saving some waypoints, etc. This way even the unfound caches get updated in case the owner moved/corrected the cache, it got disabled, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: