MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spring Event Travel Bug Race
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCollector
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Spring Event Travel Bug Race Reply with quote

This thread is dedicated to the Travel Bug Race that will be going on during the spring event. Updates will be announced here. If you have any questions please ask them here. The current Outline of the race is this

Quote:

We will also be holding a Travel Bug Race. The Race will last one year (or until the next spring event). The actual bug will be provided by TheCollector. The Travel Bug (TB) tag can either be provided by the contestant or can be reserved at the price of around $4.50 per tag (if more then 8 people buy the tags through me). The item that will be attached to the tag will (most likely) be a simple matchbox car. Again the attached item will be provided. All contestants must be registered a week before the event (see below) so that we have an ample amount of time to get the number of tags and attachments ready.

The Rules of the race are as follows:

1. Only one TB per geocacher and one per geocaching team
2. You may not move your own TB more then 15 miles and may not move your TB more then twice
3. If a TB goes missing it can't be re-released until the end of the race
4. "Dipping" (dropping then picking back up out of the same cache) of bugs is frowned upon but I know its out of your control. * Any Miles or caches gained from a cacher repeatedly "dipping" a bug will be subtracted from the TBs final "score"
5. No sabotaging of other racers. If a cacher is found to be doing this they will automatically be DQed from the race
6. All TBs will start out at the event and must be taken up by someone other then the owner.
7. There is no limit to where the bugs can go
8. Any questions can be directed to the race coordinator (TheCollector)
9. Updates will be located on the MnGCA.org Forums under the Travel Bug section
10. Additional rules will be added as I think of them.

Three prizes will be given out. Prizes will be given to the Bug that logs the most miles, the Bug that visits the most caches, and the first Bug to go missing. Prizes are still to be determined and will be posted on the cache page when chosen. If you would like to register for the race or have any questions please email at TravelBugRace@gmail.com

Please fill out the form below:
Geocaching Handle:
Do You Need a TB Tag?
Questions/Comments:

The outline is prone to change so please check back here often
TheCollector
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment we only have 4 Racers the list includes
1.)Joboo
2.)Bus&Betty
3.)TheCollector
4.) Highland GeoFairy

If you would like to join the race just read the rules above and send in the needed information
TheCollector
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be providing the TB item which will be a hot wheels car. I have some cars but am also looking for anyone that has a box of them just lying around that i could use if you have any extra hotwheel and would like to donate some to the race it would be appreciated just send me an email at TravelbugRace@gmail.com and we will work something out.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paypal payment sent
TheCollector
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merk i got your payment please send registration info to the above email for organizational reasons
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Event Travel Bug Race Reply with quote

TheCollector wrote:
4. "Dipping" (dropping then picking back up out of the same cache) of bugs is frowned upon but I know its out of your control. * Any Miles or caches gained from a cacher repeatedly "dipping" a bug will be subtracted from the TBs final "score"

This was brought up before. If the racer has no control over it, why is it subtracted from the score? That hurts the racer if one cacher holds the bug for a month and does this.

I can understand if a racer somehow arranges it, although that's not really conceivable (if someone wants to win that bad then IMHO they can just win).
TheCollector
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason im doing that is because of the other races i have either been in or seen most have had a rule like this. It has been suggested i use a point system but with how many racers im expecting i dont want to have to keep track of all that. (I do have a life outside of geocaching) If some one can create a program that does a point system automatically then im willing to change but for right now the rule stays. This rule can also be bent if some picks up a bug and goes a long distance on a trip or something and honestly tries to find a cache to put the bug in and cant but they dip it for mileage ill let it go. This rule is basically there so if one person who travels alot like a flight attendant or something like that picks up a bug and dips it into 10 caches and gives it 5,000 miles people would be complaining about that . Cause its no really fair. I know its not up to the owner if a cacher does this but its also not up to the owner if a cacher sits on a bug for the whole race or if someones bug get place in a cache that rarely visited. Its the luck of the game. In the end the likely hood that a bug will be dipped enough to cause the rule to go in affect is slim to nil its just there in case of the extreme cases. I know that there are people out there that do "tours", one example is MaxB if your bug get moved by MaxB or another person that does "tours" that fine because thats what they traditionally do. The rule is flexible. A cacher will be warned before mileage is deducted. In the end the race is just for fun i dont get why everyone has to be so competitive lets just have some fun and relax.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCollector wrote:
I know its not up to the owner if a cacher does this but its also not up to the owner if a cacher sits on a bug for the whole race or if someones bug get place in a cache that rarely visited. Its the luck of the game.

Exactly. It's the luck of the game. Except the rules don't allow those that are lucky to take advantage of it.

If someone sits on a bug for the whole year then that person is unlucky. The rules don't address that though.

Quote:
In the end the likely hood that a bug will be dipped enough to cause the rule to go in affect is slim to nil its just there in case of the extreme cases.

I would also not be comfortable with the amount of interpretation that is present in the current set of rules.

Quote:
A cacher will be warned before mileage is deducted.

Why? What can they do about it if they are warned?

On one hand you're treating it like something that can be prevented, but on the other hand it's unpreventable, yet you're penalizing the racer.

Quote:
In the end the race is just for fun i dont get why everyone has to be so competitive lets just have some fun and relax.

So do away with the rules.

You say "race" and "rules", so it turns everyone's competitiveness up a notch.

This isn't over the prizes, or even the race, it's over the principal of it.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCollector wrote:
At the moment we only have 4 Racers the list includes
1.)Joboo
2.)Bus&Betty
3.)TheCollector
4.) Highland GeoFairy

If you would like to join the race just read the rules above and send in the needed information

Registration sent.
TheCollector
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will be pulling myself out of the race because then i can have a fair and even approach to the race. in the end im running the race you dont like the rules then dont participate.
TheCollector
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dipping rule will be pulled i have been contacted by enough people. there everyone happy now
Oneied Cooky
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about puting on each ones goal, Will there be a goal on each bug? That it is to be put in the cache and not "Dipped" That way everyone that moves the bug knows that it's not to be done. That way It shouldn't happen and nobody gets docked for other peoples mistakes.
I don't see any reason to pull yourself from the race unless you think that you will be looking for loopholes to make your bug move. Again something that is out of your control so why not stay in the race?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneied Cooky wrote:
What about puting on each ones goal, Will there be a goal on each bug? That it is to be put in the cache and not "Dipped" That way everyone that moves the bug knows that it's not to be done. That way It shouldn't happen and nobody gets docked for other peoples mistakes.

That would be a good idea.

Quote:
I don't see any reason to pull yourself from the race unless you think that you will be looking for loopholes to make your bug move. Again something that is out of your control so why not stay in the race?

Part of the issue I saw with it was that the rules are interpreted so that he's not only judging but also so that rules are modified on the fly. It's hard to judge a race you're in.

However, if the rules were written and then left alone, not allowing for modifications or judgment calls on the fly, then it shouldn't matter if he's racing or not.

In the end it probably doesn't matter anyway, as I don't think (or mean to imply) that he'll be doing something to help his racer. It's more of an image thing IMHO.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More and more people signing up! I don't think I'll be camping it, but I'll certainly be there!

Also, do we have to leave the type of item attached to the TB tag up to The Collector? My luck is he'll stick mine to a bowling ball, cinder block, manhole cover or a still planted tree.

What have you up your sleeves, Mr. Collector? Wink I'm looking for some friendly competition. Anyone wanna race TBs with me?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: