MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Check out the new Garmin Colorado 400!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did not remove the found function, it is a software issue they are aware of and are working on it. The paperless is great, diffculty and terrain levels, type, description and last 5 logs. I do not find it hard to enter inforation by hand, had a puzzle cache I had to enter and it went fairly quickly. It is a little different and may take someone use to another way some time to get good with it. They are working hard on making unit very cacher freindly. I love mine so far.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
They are working hard on making unit very cacher freindly.

That was his point, currently it has a number of issues which he thinks will be resolved with software upgrades in the future. His suggestion was to wait until they patch/fix those issues, and who knows by that time they may have a new model out with other great features. Not saying it is a bad GPS, just that if you get one, expect the normal early adopter stuff, glitches and bugs that will most likely go away over time, but might be irksome in the mean time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin has addressed the geocaching issues with an update. Caches show on the map, different icons for different types. You can now go to cache and mark cache
"Found"
"Did not find"
"Needs Repair"
"Unattempted"
You can also load your finds from the Colorado directly to geocaching.com. This unit is turning out great.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
Garmin has addressed the geocaching issues with an update. Caches show on the map, different icons for different types. You can now go to cache and mark cache
"Found"
"Did not find"
"Needs Repair"
"Unattempted"
You can also load your finds from the Colorado directly to geocaching.com. This unit is turning out great.

Now thats more like it...drop the price by $200 and I'll be there...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also download your logs from the GPSr to geocaching.com and the write any info you want to the log.
cstjohn
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 400t - Is it better to get City Navigator on an SD card or the CD?
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People vary on this. There is plenty of room on the Colorado to install it but some like the SD card because you can use it in multiple units.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is different for the Colo. series, but with my 60 Cx I went with the CD based maps because Garmin makes it very clear if you somehow screw up your SD card your loss, no replacements. I only know this from a Map series I got of Switzerland from them that was only available on SD type media. It comes on a microSD that looks like any other blank one you'd pick up at Best Buy or wherever.

My thing is I like to load caches as POI's now, (have all of MN loaded on the card) as well as putting in other custom POI's I've found like the Twins Radio Network (too cheap to get XM but can't get KSTP while driving around the state, or 5 miles away from their transmitter... search that POI database and it will show you the nearest Twins affiliate that you can tune it, it's slick) The thing about all these is they store to your SD memory, so if you have one of the preloaded SD cards I don't know how those play with POI data. I'd hate to have to POI data screw up the maps somehow. Whereas the CD version if something gets screwed up no big deal, just reload it off Mapsource and away you go! Maybe someone here has better insight into how the two interact with one another, but doing any writing/rewriting on a card that costs that much would make me nervous. Like I said the Colorado series might address the issue in a totally different method though, although I kind of doubt it.
cstjohn
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think where I was struggling was the switching between the Topo (pre-loaded) and City Navigator. As Brad said, it looks like it is just a button click to swith them.

The other issue is the licensing. I've talked with Garmin. They have gone to one unlock code per license (too bad since I had an extra sitting around). If you buy the CD and load the software, that software is then permanently tied to that physical GPS. If you buy the SD card, it can be used in any GPS that it is compatible with.

Given all that, I decided to go with loading the software. Found a good deal on it on Amazon. I want to have the SD space free for other stuff (don't know exactly what yet).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: