MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gc.com forums have now been replaced with... downloadable wallpaper!

Quote:
11/11 3:30pm PST: We received our license to Invision Power Board and have started to install the application on a new dedicated machine. In the meantime, we have some new November desktop wallpaper. In Windows, once it loads right click on the image and choose "Set as desktop background" Enjoy!

KB needs to create a series of gc.com "PROMO WALLPAPER" caches.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to thank towlebooth and Jillibean so much....after the GC.com boards being down it makes me realize how much of a good thing we have here in minnesota!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: as an alternative to the forums... Reply with quote

There is also IRC chat which goes on daily (in addition to "official chat day" which is on Monday at 8:30CST) in #geocache on irc.slashnet.org

A java-based IRC client is available at http://gcchat.clayjar.com/ which should get you to #geocache w/o much problem.

Warning: Discussion isn't always on-topic and occasions will occur when R-rated language might occur.

Just another alternative to the forums Smile Many approvers are in the channel at random times and even Groundspeak staff sometimes stop by!

Silent Bob
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Travelbug Milestone Reply with quote

Thanks to all that brought bugs this past weekend I was able to finally reach that 50 bug milestone Embarassed It took me only 8 months to get 50 bugs. Not very good huh. Sad
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new design for the Travel Bug page is .....?

I am discovering that a large percentage of mine need to be edited. Somehow text has disappeared, old photos are posted, etc etc.

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingboreas wrote:

I am discovering that a large percentage of mine need to be edited. Somehow text has disappeared, old photos are posted, etc etc.

When you are on the user stats page of a profile you can click the TB icon and see which ones you own and which ones you have found (just like caches).

You can sort the bugs by a few options, I like sorting by distance traveled. Pretty neat.

Silent Bob
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingboreas wrote:

yup yup yup --- I found a few of mine with crossed photos and disappeared backgrounds. Their new indexing they are using, links the photos to the poster/logger/owner/whatever instead of linking it to the specific TBug. I am sure they mean to put a gallery link in (how boring will that be to look at HUNDREDS of photos of my little pink bears?) Confused

I also had to edit out some color and text formatting. I spent several hours doing bug page edits yesterday to make the pages look right.

One interesting feature is the lost bug option. Instead of putting your lost bug in the graveyard, you can now make it "unknown location". I like that. Hopefully the TBugs I put to being lost Crying or Very sad can eventually be resurected at the Pet Semetery --- I'll try it out later.

Has anyone tried the "recalulate milage" button?? What does it do?? I suspect it will reset the odometer to zero so I didn't touch it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
Has anyone tried the "recalulate milage" button?? What does it do?? I suspect it will reset the odometer to zero so I didn't touch it.

Jeremy on the gc.com boards wrote:
7. Bug owners can recalculate the miles travelled if they are messed up.

Whatever the heck that means.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Bug pages Reply with quote

Why are some still the old style:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=13210

and some are the new style:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?ID=27578

My two newest bugs sre the old style.

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bug pages Reply with quote

kingboreas wrote:
Why are some still the old style
and some are the new style

yup -- same with logging.... two different ways.

I have also noticed that some uploaded photos are not being shown on the new style pages unless you go to "view this log" and then the photo is shown.
I bet some bug owners will never know they have photos sitting on their bug pages because nobody ever goes to individual "view this log" links.

On the plus side of this Smile ..... you can now "edit" your drop log and actually say something about the Tbug -- except you have to do it within 20 minutes of dropping or you get an edit note in the log.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Irvingdog
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "Borrowed" someones HTML, and made it my own. It was this cool drag-down bar that listed my caches (I replaced his with mine) and you could jump fom one of my cache pages to the other. Since the "remodel" it has been removed. Now it just lists my other caches on my pages. Bummer. Anyone know how or why this happened? I doubt I'll find this thing again....... Crying or Very sad
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! They changed the gc.com front page!

I just thought I'd beat the rush. Rolling Eyes
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server Too Busy
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server Too Busy

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Server Too Busy]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.RejectRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +148

Ha Ha Ha !!!!!
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc.com was giving these kinds of server overload errors even in the wee hours last night. Even when it worked, it was excruciatingly slow. Must be somebody elses bot, because I was just trying to read some logs. Either that, or there was a big event in China and a lotta people were trying to log their finds.

IMHO, every time Jeremy moves something to .NET, the server gets more sluggish than before.

Conspiracy theorists fiigure that selling more servers and therefore more copies of Windows Server is the whole point of .NET.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not going to blame .NET for this. I'm an admin on two sites both running .NET and they run like a charm. They are both 10 times faster then the old boards we were running. Of course the down side was having to get everyone to start to understand HTML.

I'm more to believe that there are some people trying to set up code at gc.com that are not as high speed on .NET as they think that they are.

My site admin is a beta tester for .NET and one of our web sites is specifically designated as a beta test site for new modules and such.

More likely its just J screwing with switches he doesn't quite understand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: