MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Land of 10,000 Hides
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Land of 10,000 Hides Reply with quote

I was updating my GSAK database for "all of Minnesota" and noticed that I have 9256 total caches in there (includes active and inactive/archived). The way I'm looking at it, it looks like there are 6551 active caches right now (including events).

I was wondering if we are getting close to the milestone of 10,000 actual caches hidden in Minnesota. This would be physical container type caches or virtual caches (and earth caches). I believe events are in a different category.

Does anybody have a database that includes ALL Minnesota caches ever hidden and approved for publication by Groundspeak? Since I don't remember when I started collecting this info for GSAK, I have no idea how many caches had already been archived (hundreds I'm sure).
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Land of 10,000 Hides Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:
I was updating my GSAK database for "all of Minnesota" and noticed that I have 9256 total caches in there (includes active and inactive/archived). The way I'm looking at it, it looks like there are 6551 active caches right now (including events).

I show 9602 total caches in my database, with 6514 active caches.

I'm not surprised that my total caches is different than yours as my data may be older than yours (I'm not sure how far back mine goes). I am surprised by how big the difference in active caches is though.

My filter is set so that a cache is considered 'active' if I last updated the information in GSAK within the last 15 days. I pull every cache, including temp disabled ones, at least once per week (newer caches get pulled twice per week).
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Land of 10,000 Hides Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I show 9602 total caches in my database, with 6514 active caches.

Is the only way to find out how many caches were ever approved for publication in Minnesota by grabbing the pocket queries on a regular basis?

Also, of the 9602 caches in your database Pear Head, how many are/were events? It seems to me that we're going to reach 10,000 "real" caches this summer sometime.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Land of 10,000 Hides Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:
Is the only way to find out how many caches were ever approved for publication in Minnesota by grabbing the pocket queries on a regular basis?

That's the only way I know of, short of contacting Groundspeak.

Quote:
Also, of the 9602 caches in your database Pear Head, how many are/were events? It seems to me that we're going to reach 10,000 "real" caches this summer sometime.

121 events (+11 CITO).
1 locationless (that is of that type, not a moving cache).
55 virtuals (that seems low to me).
4 webcams.

If you subtract all of those, you get 9410.

I'm sure someone has an idea of the rate of new caches and would thus be able to predict when we'll make 10k. That seems like it may be the basis for a new thread in itself (the predictions/guesses). Maybe someone will start it....
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Groundspeak if they would tell me how many caches (total) have ever been published for Minnesota.

here's the reply:

Quote:
While I can not tell you which cache it was there are already more than 10,000 caches published in your state.

Thank you,
Michael
Groundspeak - The Language of Location

It would have been nice since he had the info in front of him if he had just spit out how many had been published (we could have backed into which one was #10,000), but it's better than just being ignored. So there have already been 10,000+ caches published here since the beginning of time.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:
I asked Groundspeak if they would tell me how many caches (total) have ever been published for Minnesota.

here's the reply:

Quote:
While I can not tell you which cache it was there are already more than 10,000 caches published in your state.

Thank you,
Michael
Groundspeak - The Language of Location

It would have been nice since he had the info in front of him if he had just spit out how many had been published (we could have backed into which one was #10,000), but it's better than just being ignored. So there have already been 10,000+ caches published here since the beginning of time.

Is there a way to get all the caches in MN in a gpx or similar file? Do you think Groundspeak will start publishing all of a state. Personally, I'd prefer to have them all, then use GSAK to filter them.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
Is there a way to get all the caches in MN in a gpx or similar file? Do you think Groundspeak will start publishing all of a state. Personally, I'd prefer to have them all, then use GSAK to filter them.

You can only get the active and disabled ones through multiple PQs. You can't get the archived ones at all.

There are a number of us that pull the entire state of MN through PQs. There's a thread here somewhere that talks about how to set it up (I think in the Tech Talk area).

Groundspeak is pretty tight with their data - I doubt they'll be offering entire states any time soon.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
You can only get the active and disabled ones through multiple PQs. You can't get the archived ones at all.

There are a number of us that pull the entire state of MN through PQs. There's a thread here somewhere that talks about how to set it up (I think in the Tech Talk area).

Groundspeak is pretty tight with their data - I doubt they'll be offering entire states any time soon.

Wouldn't it be more efficient and consume less resources for them to publish a list for the entire state once a week instead of having multiple people doing multiple PQs that do the same thing? The metro is so cache dense, I can't do a radus over 8 miles before I exceed the 500 max, so I've lready resorted to multiple PQs. Oh well.

Thanks Pear Head for the info.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:

Wouldn't it be more efficient and consume less resources for them to publish a list for the entire state once a week instead of having multiple people doing multiple PQs that do the same thing?

That would make sense. I've found that this type of stuff doesn't seem to always make sense.

Quote:
The metro is so cache dense, I can't do a radus over 8 miles before I exceed the 500 max, so I've lready resorted to multiple PQs. Oh well.

The key for doing the whole state isn't radius but rather "placed on" date. I'd have to look but I'm guessing the whole state is somewhere around 13 PQs now.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me think of back in the day when a 100 cache radius from Lakeville would get me all the way up past Anoka. Of course, that was back in the day when we had to walk 6 miles, uphill both ways, barefoot in the snow, and it was 110 degrees out, just to find a cache, but we were thankful. And all we had to eat were slinkies on the way.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

Wouldn't it be more efficient and consume less resources for them to publish a list for the entire state once a week instead of having multiple people doing multiple PQs that do the same thing?

That would make sense. I've found that this type of stuff doesn't seem to always make sense.

Quote:
The metro is so cache dense, I can't do a radus over 8 miles before I exceed the 500 max, so I've lready resorted to multiple PQs. Oh well.

The key for doing the whole state isn't radius but rather "placed on" date. I'd have to look but I'm guessing the whole state is somewhere around 13 PQs now.

I think I'm at either 14 or 15 for the state now, usually keeping them around 485-495 or so per PQ, I just had to start a new one about 2 weeks ago, I can't remember if it is #14 or 15.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

Quote:

I think I'm at either 14 or 15 for the state now, usually keeping them around 485-495 or so per PQ, I just had to start a new one about 2 weeks ago, I can't remember if it is #14 or 15.

You're right - I'm at 15 now, although I haven't trimmed my dates for a while, so one may be able to squeeze it into 14.

The thread regarding this is here:

Pocket Query Question
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Makes me think of back in the day when a 100 cache radius from Lakeville would get me all the way up past Anoka. Of course, that was back in the day when we had to walk 6 miles, uphill both ways, barefoot in the snow, and it was 110 degrees out, just to find a cache, but we were thankful. And all we had to eat were slinkies on the way.

Yeah, but just try telling that to these newbies... and they won't beleive you. Shocked
DeltaMikeAlpha
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GSAK database has 10070 current plus archived caches published in Minnesota. It does NOT include Event caches other than the ones I've attended. My Archived list has 3214 caches.

I spent some time last summer and fall using the geocaching.com mapping feature that used to include archived caches along with the active ones. The "new" map introduced in the fall (before I finished going through the entire state) doesn't show Archived caches anymore so my list is probably not complete, especially around the Metro area.

Sick, huh?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discussion regarding setting up GSAK has been split:

Arrow http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3719
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: