MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A different kind of bug...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstelena
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: A different kind of bug... Reply with quote

Greetings all.

Just a little "FYI" for those who may care:

The wood ticks are once again out and active in Northern MN (even though there is still snow/ice on the ground... go figure). Gingerpup found a DEER tick in her ear even... so be on the lookout, and consider having your four legged friends vaccinated against Lymes Disease (Can humans be vaccinated too?)

Mstelena
kleiner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I'm already the proud owner of 4 deer tick finds, just in the last week. I don't know how many the dog has found. She is on the Top-spot stuff, now. I don't know what I'll put on. JK
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is Lymerex for us two-legged critters--it comes in a series of two or three shots (I forget which), and I don't know how long you can go before you need a booster. Deep Woods Off keeps the ticks at bay (even though it barely slows down the Minnesota mosquitoes), and if you treat your clothes with Permethrin, it kills ticks instantly--I hear it can also kill cats, too, so you want to be careful with the stuff. If you do treat your clothes, it's supposed to still be effective for up to six washings.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe and I ran into a nest of deer ticks outside of Menomonie, WI last weekend. We both brushed off several of these buggers each. Funny thing was that it seems very spotty so far - we got a bunch at our first cache and then no others for the rest of the day.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
There is Lymerex for us two-legged critters--it comes in a series of two or three shots (I forget which), and I don't know how long you can go before you need a booster

I did a little research on Lymerix tonight.

Some website wrote:
Notice: As of February 25, 2002 the manufacturer announced that the LYMErix™ Lyme disease vaccine will no longer be commercially available.

There is also a lot of mention of class-action lawsuits regarding Lymerix... It seems it possibly causes "painful and debilitating arthritis".

- Pear Head
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is also a lot of mention of class-action lawsuits regarding Lymerix... It seems it possibly causes "painful and debilitating arthritis".
Does that mean I'm going to be rich? Wow, because of caching, among other things, I got Lymerex shots, and now I can get rich off class-action lawsuits, quit my job, and go caching all the time!!! Life is good!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: