MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GC Admins
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welch wrote:
Who is currently approving caches in Minnesota?

That would be mtn-man from Georgia.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: correction if I read this right... Reply with quote

First, our relationship with our parks is very unique. If you look at the cache guidelines page, you will see 5 different policies (Ramsey, Three Rivers, and Carver counties, State Parks, and Superior National Forest/BWCA). Three of these policies require cache registration. It sounds like we have dialog with other counties and park services, so this list of park systems with individual policies will grow.

If I read this correctly- you are counting the Superior National Forest and the BWCAW as one policy. It should be stated as "you will see 6 policies." Caching is allowed in the Superior National Forest with prior approval and cache registration in the Ranger district in which the cache is located.

Caches are not allowed in the BWCAW.

Caches are also not allowed in wayside rest areas and I have noticed that there are several rest areas on I35 which have caches. unless this policy has recently changed.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: correction if I read this right... Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
Caches are also not allowed in wayside rest areas and I have noticed that there are several rest areas on I35 which have caches. unless this policy has recently changed.

I did a search for geocaching and geocache on the MnDOT web site and could find no policy regarding geocaching.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GUILTY !

As I pat myself on the back, I'm thinking about the safety factor. Each person/family that stops at a rest area is getting out of the car, getting fresh air, exercise and breaking the monotony that road trips can cause.

If those caches weren't available, how many tired 'cachers might continue driving, when a short break would make them more alert?

My wife thinks it's ODD when I DON'T stop at a rest area.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: REST AREA CACHES Reply with quote

All I know is that when I wanted to put one at a rest area . Being that you are to get permission from landmanagers,I called MNDOT and talked to someone- it was a woman and I think she was the head of MNDOT at the time. She said absolutley not- that it was the same as leaving trash on the premises and that she had given the order for all rest area personal to locate and pull caches. I am assuming that it isn't being done as the caches are still there- and I for one think it is a good idea to have them there, but I never did because they didn't give me their permission. This was in 2002.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe this helps...http://www.dot.state.mn.us/information/orgchart_screen.html a little...
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: correction if I read this right... Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:

Caches are not allowed in the BWCAW.

To be specific, traditional caches are not allowed in the BWCAW. Virtuals are acceptable as long and NOTHING is left at a virtual site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: