MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Topo software
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Garmin Topo software Reply with quote

I got the go from my financial adviser and with the help of a few REI gift certificates I was looking to up grade my map software for my Garmin 60CSx.
I have a 2004 version of Topo mapsource which has been fine but out of date.
I was looking at the 2008 version but saw this review on the REI website. and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Quote:
I was initially excited about this product. I had been using the 2000(?) version of Topo with my Garmin 60CSx. In a side-by-side trial using two 60CSx's, one with old topo and the other with 2008, the GPS running 2008 continiously project my position 100 feet (+/-)north and east of the roads shown on the map. The older version of Topo was always on target.I contacted Garmin about this issue (having experienced this problem when working with GIS data, topos and aerials, in different coordinate systems, typically NAD27 to NAD83). They acknowledged that this was an issue, but that they had no intention of fixing the problem.I am now seeking a refund for this product

I am limited to REI products. Topo has done a good job in both the city and countryside. Is the same true with City navigator.
Thanks for any input.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Topo software Reply with quote

Get City Navigator, it doesn't have this problem and it has autorouting. I hardly ever use Topo, and I certainly wouldn't upgrade even if the new version weren't broken. Topo's routing is terrible, so I only use it when I go on trips to places where they have hills. Since those haven't moved very much in 8 years, I'll stick with the 2000 version...
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Get City Navigator, it doesn't have this problem and it has autorouting.

What is City Nav like out in the countryside? What is autorouting? I have never used my GPS for anything other than geocaching.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
What is City Nav like out in the countryside?

It's great everywhere, better than topo at least.

Quote:
What is autorouting?

That's where you tell your GPS you want to go to cache X and it gives you directions as you go.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That's where you tell your GPS you want to go to cache X and it gives you directions as you go.

Is that feature for a Car type gps. Something I can do with the 60CSx?
From what I have seen on another thread the software is "married" to one gps, is that right?
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
Is that feature for a Car type gps. Something I can do with the 60CSx?

Yes, you can do it with the 60csx
Quote:
From what I have seen on another thread the software is "married" to one gps, is that right?

Yes, that's one advantage to Topo, it's not locked.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have navigator but cant remember the last time I used it. I use nothing but topo. It shows more rivers, streams, lakes and some trails that navigator doesnt. For a comparison go to garmins web site and bring up both software maps of the same area and compare.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/ontheRoad/
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use Topo, keep using what you have. I got inside information that says the only thing different about the new Topo is the interface. The map set was not updated.

I'll be converting to City Navigator soon and can't wait. Topo served its purpose. But it sucks compared to what I see other cachers using.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want driving use navagator, if you want hiking use topo. The 60 can have both loaded at the same time and you can switch back and forth between them with just a couple button pushes. I suggest get Nav and load both.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
If you want driving use navagator, if you want hiking use topo. The 60 can have both loaded at the same time and you can switch back and forth between them with just a couple button pushes.

If you have a lot of maps loaded, it's about 50 button pushes, unless there's a trick I'm missing (I hope?).
A.B.E.L.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:

If you have a lot of maps loaded, it's about 50 button pushes, unless there's a trick I'm missing (I hope?).

on my 60csx while viewing the map its just MENU > Setup map > MENU > Hide/Show <insert mapset name here> > QUIT

so thats what, 4-5 buttons?
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aberrix wrote:
pfalstad wrote:

on my 60csx while viewing the map its just MENU > Setup map > MENU > Hide/Show <insert mapset name here> > QUIT

Well, on a recent trip I had some huge number of topo maps loaded (the topo maps are really small, and I had all of MN loaded plus some CA maps, so that's a lot) so I had to scroll through all of them and then figure out which city navigator map I was in so I could turn it off. The City Navigator maps are huge so the name of the map is often some city 10 miles away. I had trouble guessing which was the right map so I had to try a bunch of them. Took a long time.

If you don't have a lot of maps loaded, then it's 4-5 buttons.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy another SD card. They're cheap. The hardest part is keeping track of the darn thing...
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Buy another SD card. They're cheap. The hardest part is keeping track of the darn thing...

That's an idea. I'd only use it on trips anyway.

SB pointed out that on his 76CS, it only lists the 2 maps he cares about (the current metroguide map, and the current topo map) so switching is a piece of cake. My 60csx lists every single map, including ones in Las Vegas.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
Aberrix wrote:
pfalstad wrote:

Well, on a recent trip I had some huge number of topo maps loaded (the topo maps are really small, and I had all of MN loaded plus some CA maps, so that's a lot) so I had to scroll through all of them and then figure out which city navigator map I was in so I could turn it off. The City Navigator maps are huge so the name of the map is often some city 10 miles away. I had trouble guessing which was the right map so I had to try a bunch of them. Took a long time.

If you don't have a lot of maps loaded, then it's 4-5 buttons.

Like Abberrix posted, you just hide Navigator or Topo, not the individual map segments. On the map page hit menu/setup map/enter menu/ scroll down and hide which one or show which one you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: