MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aloha!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team GeoBlast
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Aloha! Reply with quote

First let me say that I have really enjoyed browsing through your forum and was very impressed with both the content and the abundance of enthusiastic cachers you seem to have in MnGCA. I found most of the answers I had regarding caching your area by poking around a little.

Living in Hawaii we get more than our share of visiting cachers and I could especially relate to the difficulty of answering a request for cache recommendations like, "Can you recommend a good cache?" It's a question that is bound to just generate a few more questions.

While I do realize that any research into caches I do now can be changed by a few feet of new snow, I feel like I need to try to nail down some options as close as I can. I'll need to see about finding snow shoes or cross country skis, renting a car, and it will surely influence what gear I choose to lug with me.

So.. keeping in mind that I am staying in downtown Minneapolis, any suggestions on any of these scenarios would be appreciated:

Option #1: 1/27/08 or 1/28/08 Your favorite 1-4 mile hike that is fun to do as a group. Maybe a fun multi-cache or even a night cache. I would like to invite some local cachers as well as some visiting muggles from parts unknown. Keep in mind that there will be varying degrees of experience with cold weather and snow among some of the visitors.

Option #2: 1/27/08 or 1/28/08. Your own personal review of caching from the LRT on the way out to the Mall of America. What are the unusual hides with unique containers, interesting locations that offer area history or knowledge that might be within walking distance of a few of the stops? Not interested in puzzles or common hides placed for no particular reason. I'd like to bring some new people with me and show them these kind of caches.

Option #3: 1/27/08. A caching event, perhaps at a downtown Sports Bar to watch the NFL division championship followed by some caching in downtown including a temporary cache hidden in downtown by TGB. We recently had a visitor come to Hawaii from Germany and host a meet and greet event for himself so he could meet some local cachers. It was the first time I had ever seen something like this done and I had some mixed feelings about it. What would you think about that? Would you come into downtown? Or would you wonder if the person throwing it placed a little too much importance on their arrival?

Thanks for your thoughts on any or all of this.
Bad_CRC
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloha,

I just returned from Oahu, and was amazed at some of your caches. I wanted to try to visit the jeep TB I sent to you a while back while I was there, but found that H3 Summit Saddle was just too death-defying for my abilities. (I'm good at falling off of things.) Very Happy Unfortunately, you won't find any caches like that in our state, but a nice long hike cache in a county or state park where you can rent some snowshoes or cross-country skis may be a good taste of winter caching in our area, and a definite change from some of the great caches in your area.

Unfortunately, I don't cache in the cities area, so I can't help with specifics for #1 & 2

#3, I attended this event, it's too bad you couldn't make it, I think a good time was had by everyone. It was nice to meet cachers from several states and 4 countries. The stories of traveling through a crocodile-filled swamp with grunting baby crocs all around from the australian cachers, or hearing about sillygirl and jrr driving across a steaming lava field on the big island were some of the most interesting caching stories I've ever heard. (I like my state, but we just can't compete with stuff like that) I can't imagine a geocaching event could be much more interesting or fun than that one, and I'm not even an event-type person.

I hope you enjoy your time in Minnesota.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Hmm Reply with quote

Not to burst yer bubble -- but you probably won't strictly "need" any snowshoes or skis. There "should" be enough snow for XC skiing in the metro area. But there's only about 6-8 inches on the ground at my house in the suburbs.

For a nice hike or ski in the metro area I would recommend one of the Three Rivers Parks. This link tells you where you can rent skis specifically and has a # to call for a group reservation:

http://www.threeriversparkdistrict.org/trails/trails_ski.cfm

Most of these parks have some caches and you should be able to compare the Parks ski trail map to the Google maps. Some of the ski trails are lighted which is nice since it gets dark around 5 pm.

Look for the "winter friendly" icon, most of us are pretty good about including it to show the cache is above snow line. Or email cache owner.

Bring a pencil as a pen will not work if it is cold. Waterproof snowpants, gloves, hat, and scarf or ski mask all musts.

Have fun!!
Team GeoBlast
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travel to Minnesota at least once a year and talk with folks there everyday on the phone so you didn't burst my bubble on the current lack of snow issue. One thing that you did bring to light that might throw a barrier up for a group snow activity is the gear. While I would have no problems begging, borrowing, or purchasing the correct gear, most folks that I would be inviting are just coming strictly for an indoor conference. The will not have some of that stuff or see the importance of it, especially the water proof pants. I think it is going to boil down to inviting others or not if I decide to cache in the snow. Thanks for that.

Although still open for options and suggestions, I am leaning towards returning some aloha (think you call it Minnesota Nice) that was passed my way by Bad CRC and a few others and hosting a downtown event with a geocoin raffle or... if time allows, maybe a team activity involving a temporary cache downtown.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the south side, there is plenty of snow to warrant snowshoes... heck, I am emphasizing how deep the snow is south of the Minnesota River. And if you go to Cleary Lake Regional Park (A Three River park) down in Prior Lake, you'll find a ton of caches along a route and snowshoes would be highly recommended.

While there are a few caches along LRT, I would not recommend it. The highest cache density is downtown and only a few down the other end of the line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: