MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google maps???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Google maps??? Reply with quote

I have not had any luck with google maps since they changed it months ago. Now that winter has set in I am looking to see whats up, I have not used it since then.
I used to like to browse using the map. When I go to hide and Seek a cache and go to google map I get the Green Lake default and can't get beyond that. If I put in a zip code I get a blank map page. If I zoom out and move I don't get caches at the new local.
If I go to the map from a cache page and zoom out no more caches show up.
Am I missing something? I really liked it the way it was.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Google maps??? Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
I have not had any luck with google maps since they changed it months ago. Now that winter has set in I am looking to see whats up, I have not used it since then.
I used to like to browse using the map. When I go to hide and Seek a cache and go to google map I get the Green Lake default and can't get beyond that. If I put in a zip code I get a blank map page. If I zoom out and move I don't get caches at the new local.
If I go to the map from a cache page and zoom out no more caches show up.
Am I missing something? I really liked it the way it was.

Have you installed the latest version? I know I couldn't draw lines or polygons for some strange reason running the second most recent version.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Google maps??? Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you installed the latest version?

Do you mean the latest Google Earth? I guess I am not sure about Google maps.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one confused here?

Are we talking about Google Earth or Google Maps?
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maps.... The only reason I asked about Earth was that it is the only thing that I know I have downloaded that may have had a version.
So I guess my stupid question is how do I download the latest version Google Maps.
I thought Google maps was just a site through Groundspeak.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
So I guess my stupid question is how do I download the latest version Google Maps.

You don't, just you just go to the geocaching.com website and try to use what's there. I think bflentje thought you were talking about google earth.

I am not having any trouble with geocaching.com's google maps. What browser are you using?
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
I am not having any trouble with geocaching.com's google maps. What browser are you using?

Internet Explorer
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of IE?
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Which version of IE?

7.0 on both laptop and PC.
The laptop I am getting cache icons for an area but if I move the screen or zoom out I don't get new ones. Even if i zoom in.
On the pc nothing.
Bus&Betty
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problem on my home system (IE7) but no problem on my work system (IE6).

Last edited by Bus&Betty on Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Bus&Betty
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob's running Vista on his home system and IE7, plus Firefox at work. He has no problems with any of them.

On my home system (IE7), I installed all latest Windows updates and cleared out all my Internet settings. Still no luck.
Bus&Betty
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll also updated the windows XP SP2 on my work laptop to the latest patches/updates. Still works with IE7 and Firefox (U3).
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Google Maps Street View Reply with quote

Too bad you're having trouble with Google Maps - you can't use the new Street View feature. Type in an address, click on the Street View box in the upper right of the map, and you can look at a street view of any streets and roads that are highlighted in blue. There is a little orange guy that you can drag to where you want to look, and when you click on him, you'll see the street view. You can also pan the image - if you pan way down, you can even see the vehicle the imaging device was attached to. Those of you who are still able to get Google Maps need to go play with it yourself.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Google Maps Street View Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't know they had coverage in this area! Must be new. It's pretty complete, too, including all the residential areas nearby. I can see my house!

15Tango wrote:
Too bad you're having trouble with Google Maps - you can't use the new Street View feature. Type in an address, click on the Street View box in the upper right of the map, and you can look at a street view of any streets and roads that are highlighted in blue. There is a little orange guy that you can drag to where you want to look, and when you click on him, you'll see the street view. You can also pan the image - if you pan way down, you can even see the vehicle the imaging device was attached to. Those of you who are still able to get Google Maps need to go play with it yourself.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
pfalstad wrote:

Internet Explorer

There's your problem.. Try firefox. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: