MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Display of Coins

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYSandy23
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Display of Coins Reply with quote

Just curious? How do most people display or keep thier coins if they are not activating them? I have been looking for a case of some sort. What do people suggest?

Thanks,
Sandy
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends how you will use you collection.

If you want to show it off at home and won't be traveling with it I would suggest the Large Military Challenge Coin Display Rack Case Cabinet you can find on E-bay. I bought my step mom one of these and she loves it. The only mistake I made was to get the smaller one and now it is full. Get the large one right off the bat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Military-Challenge-Coin-Display-Rack-Case-Cabinet_W0QQitemZ290186243511QQihZ019QQcategoryZ135QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you want to travel with them CLAMM had a real nice book that has plastic on both sides of the coins and the pages were made from a cardboard like material.

Coin sleeves in a 3 ring binder are an option too.

I will let others speak more on the mobile options.
As far as a display case goes the one I mentioned is very nice.
The only drawback is some of the larger coins do not fit in there.
I.e. the Ohio coin, the laptop coin etc but most do fit.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a binder, get one that you can zip shut...my coins have fallen out on occasion and the zipper has saved me from loosing coins...this is a good guide on how to make a binder that looks nice and works well.

http://www.geocoin-info.net/BINDER/index.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CLAMM
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my coins are stored in plastic bins. Each one is labeled with different categories; events, states, European, Canadian, Club coins..

We've tried lots of ways of organizing our coins. The Geocoin book merkman mentioned can be purchased at www.thecachingplace.com. I've only had them for a few months so I'm not sure how they'll hold up in the long run - I feel like I have to be very careful when turning the pages. I think the book will hold coins up to 1.75" in diameter.

I've tried different ways of storing coins in binders. I've decided I like using coin flips and plastic coin pages best. This works well from micro coins to ones up to about 1.5" in diameter. I have an album with just micros and pathtags and this works really well. With the larger coins, the pages get kind of heavy and the plastic pages tend to rip and tear when you try to remove the coin flip..

We tried storing the coins with foam/baseball card holders. We found this to be very time consuming but they look nice in the cards. I prefer coins in albums though - easier to look through.

I bought a shadow box at Michaels. I put all my Loggerhead and Tiki coins in it - they look great. The only problem with that is you can't easily take them out to bring to events.

I think that sums up what we've tried so far...
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laying in the bottom of the drawer in my desk.. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: