MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

November 2007 - Cache of the Month Nominees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: November 2007 - Cache of the Month Nominees Reply with quote

The nominated caches for November 2007 are:

GC13X1C - Watch for Falling Rocks by Mystery Cheetahs
Nominated by andrewmcc
I just got back from Duluth having a great time caching with great hikes and caches. I have one that really stood out. I hear that it is a first time cache for the owner but I think that they hit a homerun on it. It is Watch for Falling Rocks.
It is not too far from downtown Duluth. You have to work a little to get to it but it is worth it. You start by hiking along the shore where on windy days the shore would be a place where you could get wet feet. You are walking at the base of a cliff that sometimes seems to be leaning over you. Try to take your time and skip some stones and watch an ore boat go by.
When you get to the GZ it is just a plain good hide, well done with a bit of deception.
Well done on a first try Mystery Cheetahs!

GC15H99 - Old Symbol or Carving by canpaddle
Nominated by Pear Head
I recently had the opportunity to visit a cache in Duluth that I feel is worthy of a nomination as a Cache of the Month. The cache, Old Symbol or Carving, by canpaddle, is in western Duluth (near another COTM winner, Dark Passage). The cache requires you to hike on a railroad grade for a distance and then navigate some very rocky terrain, up a path along the side of a cliff, to the first of three stages. The three stages are laid out such that you will eventually find your way to the final location (which, without the stages, you'd probably have a tough time finding the 'easy' access). The final is located near Ely's Peak although this cache is not located on the Superior Hiking Trail at all. From the final location one has a 180+ degree view of western Duluth and eastern Wisconsin. This isn't for the light of heart however - the trip up the cliff is tough. There is a small trail that will take you near the first stage but after that you'll be bushwacking through trees and walking across large rock outcroppings. It's no easy journey.

At the final you are told that there is an interesting rock carving about 30 feet north of the final (hence the name of the cache). While I looked for a short time for the carving without success, canpaddle also provides a picture of this curious carving on the cache page.
This rugged cache is a must-do while visiting Duluth.

GC16E9G - Gemini by incrediblemagpie
Nominated by Red_Devil35
The cache is located in Glencoe, MN. It doesn't offer any great views, or points of interest, but this is a great hide.
It is a clever multi that took us two tries to figure out, just when we thought we had it, we had to start over at the beginning!
This great cache is a lot of fun, if you like a challenge, and is a puzzle that forced us to think 'outside the box', and not like a cacher!

GC157H2 - Another Cache in a Quarry by momandson2006
Nominated by Fargnot
This cache is located a few miles north of Kelliher, Minnesota in the vast bog lands of the northern part of our state. Right in the middle of this great swamp sits a very small quarry that defies nature. One has to wonder how this small island of rocks got mixed up with all that peat. I believe that this cache is one of the most challenging caches that I have ever hunted for. The hide is superbly hidden with supreme attention paid to every little detail.
If itís a challenge you are looking for then this is it and if you happen to find it, you will be left with an immense sense of satisfaction and a smile on your face. You might want to bring your sleeping bag.

The vote will not start until November 24th to allow everyone time to find the nominated caches. Also, please feel free to post reviews or thoughts on the nominated caches in this thread if you have found them.

To nominate caches for December, just email me at gps@july15.com or PM me here.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats. I just back from up north and now I have to go back.
Mystery Cheetahs
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody who voted for us!! Call it beginers luck, but we're thankful for the support Laughing

Mystery Cheetahs~~
cache us if you can
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: