MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Worst Cache Ever"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomslusher wrote:
Anyone could write up an eloquent story about a cache and make it sound like the best ever.

It would be a hoot if somebody could sell us the "worst cache ever" as the cache of the month.

True story. On the first day of Boy Scout summer camp one year, all the patrol leaders had to attend a meeting with the camp counselors. The counselors laid down the camp rules, and then mentioned that we might want to plan a day hike for our patrol. Many day hikes were available.

On the wall was a picture poster of "beautiful Iron Springs", a nice lake surrounded by trees a few miles away. There was a map showing how to get there. I took the map and decided to take my patrol up there later in the week for an overnight.

So later that week we packed light for an overnight and set off on a beautiful day to hike to Iron Springs. Well, the map we had was not a topo map, and pretty soon we were hiking up the side of the mountain. We kept on hiking, and the trees started getting pretty thin. Hmm, it must be up and over this mountain, we thought.

Pretty soon, there were no more trees. Just mountain laurel. We kept hiking because that meant we were near the top. Finally, we rounded a group of rocks and there was the sign:

Welcome To Iron Springs

There, chained to a tree, was an old army cot. With iron springs.

We spent the night up there. Didn't bother to pitch our tents, just laying out under the stars. To make our misery complete, in the middle of the night it started raining.

-Rick
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound of the semis zipping by on the freeway sounded like a bird singing a sweet tune in the morning. The gravel being pelted onto my face made me think of when I was a child and snowball fights we had.

I spent about 30 minutes after finding that magnetic micro, just looking at the wonderful craftsmanship of that guardrail. I inspect how the bolts hold it tightly together and the skill involved with anchoring the wooden posts into the ground. Sheer genius!

The 6 foot walk back to my car was beautiful! Many wonderful sights along the way. I saw that my plates were expired.

All in all, one of the finest caches yet.

(I can rip on them because I own a couple Surprised )
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we drove through the parking lot, our GPSrs confused us for a moment because we knew it wasn't more than 100 feet into this huge park. Finally we turned around and parked on the side of the road into the park and walk out 80 feet away. A trick indeed! Almost had us fooled for awhile, there.

Amongst all the mysterious garbage that must have blown in, there's buckthorn and stickers brushing against my legs. Just as I'm trying to identify this crazy different form of prickly growth in my "Weeds of Minnesota" book, someone yells out "GEOBEACON!" and from 50 feet away I see the most obvious, blantant cache location in a broken tree stump. As I'm stumped by the complete reverse-psychology -- thinking that no one would ever place it there -- I turn around to see Arcticabn is already signing the log. He found it inside the rusted tin that was partially wrapped by a faded WAL-MART bag that's almost in 3 pieces -- aged and weathered to perfection. If you've seen the area, you'll know that there could have been no finer camo. Perfectly done.

He's taking his time, as the logbook is soaked - and likely the reason it's higher than a 2 star rating, because the homeless guy we saw was harmless. All the time we saved at the cache allowed us to enjoy watching the 12 year old morons have sword fights with the sticks they broke off the trees near the swingset. I recommend bringing a folding chair and some peanuts - and watch the free show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: