MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

April 2004 Cache of the Month - VOTE HERE

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Please vote for your April cache of the month:
I don't know's on 3rd Base by WWPP
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Smile! by RJ
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Barn Bywater by Kimbastoat
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
Project Great Spirit by Good-Boy
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: April 2004 Cache of the Month - VOTE HERE Reply with quote

It's time to vote! In this post you will find the caches which have been nominated to be the MnGCA AprilCache of the Month.

Voting ends on March 31st (sorry for the short timeframe this month). Rules for nominations here. Thanks to nomination submitters!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nomination articles: (in the order they were nominated)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) I don't know's on 3rd Base (GCHPZF) by WicketsWanderingPonyPatrol (nominated by FSU*Noles)
The cache container is well beyond the "clever" description on the cache page, and it's obvious they put some time and effort in the design and placement of the cache. I'm glad there are so many creative cachers out there that truly make this sport enjoyable for everyone...as soon as I found this one, I knew someone had to nominate it - I just hope people can actually find it in the summertime once the park fills up with people!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Smile! (GCHTQQ) by RJ (nominated by Moe the Sleaze)
This is a two step multi-cache; you go to the posted coordinates to
find a clue that leads you to the final location. Think of the first
step as the sprinkles on the doughnut. It's kind of fun and you can
see it from aways away. But the final cache is the chocolate cream
filling, the part that makes you say "Ooooh!"

RJ has done it again with a hide in a very public location. Over the
next several months, it will be seen by literally hundreds of
non-cachers who will spend hours within a few feet of it, but I will
be quite surprised if it disappears. Thanks, RJ, for another very
creative cache.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) Barn Bywater (GCE681) by Kimbastoat (nominated by RJ)
Hidden in Red Wing on March 16, 2003, is the very essense of what a cache of the month should be.

The hike to this one is semi-grueling, yet stunningly rewarding once the booty is found. The actual cache is well hidden and should remain so. The views from on top of Barn Bluff of Red Wing can't be matched by any other close by. Views of most of Red Wing and great views of the river and bridges can be found here. I took many pictures.

Close by is some "paint artwork", probably done by high schoolers each and every year. After I found the cache, I spent well over an hour just exploring the area this cache is hidden and hiking all around the bluff it's on. There are many ways up and down this tiny mountain, and I made sure and checked most of them out.

The next time you're in Red Wing, set aside a couple of hours to find this cache. You will not be disappointed if you do.
[picture to be included tonight - towlebooth]

4) Project Great Spirit (GCHGQY) by Good-Boy (nominated by Silent Bob)
In the tradition of waypoint projection multi-caches this one is one of the best. Good-Boy has the ability to take the best parts of other caches in the area and roll them into his own challenging and interesting hides. The first stage of this cache takes you to an interesting Bloomington landmark the Great Spirit and you are sent hurdling in an entirely new direction towards the final.

Depending on your past experiences the Great Spirit may or may not be willing to enlighten you on your attempt at finding the final cache. It is certainly worth the effort of learning how to project waypoints. Just remember to set your GPS to those that the hider used or you may be further off than you would like!

There are several other caches in the immediate area of the first stage of this cache and I urge you to visit those as well!
[image to be included tonight - towlebooth]

Last edited by towlebooth on Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RJ - I was going to nominate Barn Bywater!

-Aaron
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: April 2004 Cache of the Month - VOTE HERE Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
Think of the first step as the sprinkles on the doughnut. It's kind of fun and you can see it from aways away. But the final cache is the chocolate cream filling, the part that makes you say "Ooooh!"

I realize, sadly, that you have never seen an episode of the Simpsons but it's actually not "Ooooh!" It's "mmmmmmmmm, Doooooughnuuuuut." Smile

Silent Bob
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny thing is, everytime I see Moe's name come up, I think of the Simpsons, ya know, Moe the bartender.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading the cache nominations and thinking about voting for Smile!, which I have done.

But then I read the great description of Barn Bywater, and by the end I was thinking it might deserve the award even more so. Then, I saw that RJ was the one that had nominated it, and that sealed it for me. Even though I haven't done it yet, I trust your judgement Smile.

Sorry, RJ, but I think you wrote yourself out of an award this month. Smile

-Rick
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
I was reading the cache nominations and thinking about voting for Smile!, which I have done.

So you voted for Smile!

rickrich wrote:

But then I read the great description of Barn Bywater, and by the end I was thinking it might deserve the award even more so. Then, I saw that RJ was the one that had nominated it, and that sealed it for me. Even though I haven't done it yet, I trust your judgement Smile.

Sorry, RJ, but I think you wrote yourself out of an award this month. Smile

So you voted twice? Rolling Eyes
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:

I didn't think that was possible with the polls on phpbb (I run a phpbb forum myself).
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:

I didn't think that was possible with the polls on phpbb (I run a phpbb forum myself).

It's not - I was teasing. Razz
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad we can't have a poll of the best BBQ places in Pezley, MO Wink I know who would get at least 4 votes Smile

Silent Bob
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:

Sorry, bad wording. I meant that I have found Smile!, so I'm therefore qualified to have an opinion about it. I didn't vote for it. Instead, I voted for Barn... based on nothing more than the great description provided by RJ.
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to their profile, the hiders of Barn Bywater were geocachers for a total of 3 days and managed to place this cache one year ago and nothing else.

Interesting.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the last day to vote. I know that there are more than 14 registered users who visit daily - let's hear from you!
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only vote if I visit at least one of the caches that are nominated. Anyone could write up an eloquent story about a cache and make it sound like the best ever.

tomslusher
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: