MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GSAK help please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: GSAK help please Reply with quote

I've used GSAK for quite awhile (maybe three years?). I know I don't use much of what's available in it, but until Saturday I thought I used all that I needed. Well, on Saturday, I learned that it's easy to configure GSAK to send container size, terrain and difficulty info, and other stuff over to the Garmin when sending the waypoints.

Boy, I'd really like to know how to do that! I can't find anything in the pull down menus or on the "send to GPS" dialog box that looks promising. I'm sure I'm just not recognizing it. Could one of you who knows how to configure the program to do this please clue me in?

Thanks.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first answer would be to tell you to come to the tech event on the 20th and we'll teach you how. Smile

Under the "Send waypoints to GPS" dialog, look for waypoint name in the middle/left. It says "you can build the waypoint name using tags (see help)".

The help file gives you all of the possibilities for the options you can put there. I use this string:

%drop2%con1%typ1%last4%Dif%Ter

This gives me the waypoint code (minus the beginning GC) followed by the container (Micro, Small, Regular, etc), followed by the type of cache (Traditional, Multi, etc), followed by the last four logs (Found or Not found), followed by the difficulty and terrain ratings (which sometimes gets chopped off).

There are better options for the dif and ter that guarantee that it won't get chopped off but I like what I have.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I use:

From the "Export to MapSource File", I have the fields filled in as follows -

Waypoint Name - %Smart
Cache description format - %code %typ1 %con1 %correct by %By (%Dif1/%Ter1) Hint:%hint

I should change mine to Pearhead's format and remove the "GC" from the waypoint code and the spaces. The difficulty and terrain I use are a little shorter, but you have to do some simple math in your head to get the actual published ratings (add 1 and divide by 2). I also have included a Y/N for corrected coordinates in case you see the cache is a puzzle and are need to know if you have solved it before attempting.

But at any rate, just hit "Help" while that box is open and there are many other options to consider for you own needs.
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Just what I needed, except now I will have one less excuse for DNFing.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Call me sentimental, but I like knowing that I'm searching for "Wonders of Warba" rather than GCXXXX - I like Grey Wolf's setup!
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot of folks like waypoints, but for me it's easier to see the cache name on the GPS map. Reminds the grey matter where to drive to a little better.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's GCXXXX? And what's this 8 or 14 chr restriction.

Just an inquiring Magellan user who does not have those issues. Laughing
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:

I just made up GCXXXX as an example. I also made up Wonders of Warba, although there certainly should be a cache with that name.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:

I understand what you're saying... Even if I could fit the cache name in easily I would still opt for the GC code - makes logging the cache online much easier.

I suppose having the extra information there would be nice, although I prefer less information over being 50' off.
Laughing
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do both.. 9 chars of smart name and 5 chars of GC code.

%smart%drop2%children%code%c_prefix

All the other information is in the waypoint description if I need it:

%Name=20%Dif%con1%Ter%by%children%name=20 %c_Name %c_Type
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
I do both.. 9 chars of smart name and 5 chars of GC code.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of combining the smartname and the GC code. I might have to try that.

Right now, I just use this for the smartname:
%smart %children %smart%c_Code1

I do send out the GC code into cachemate, so I have it for those rare occasions when I try to log on from the field.

For my description I use this:
%Dif1a/%Ter1a %typ1:%con1 %last4 %hint %By

That provides lots of information.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSAK...Cool stuff. I was at the GeoTec event in North Branch and it was great. One thing I learned was how much I do not know. I did end up with a lot of questions That one session would be impossible to answer. Would it be possible for someone to do a class on just GSAK all the way through how to manage queries. Is there anyone else that would be interested in taking a lass like that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: