MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading Maps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team Hooligan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Upgrading Maps Reply with quote

I would like to upgrade my maps on my Garmins. It looks like City Navigator is the best option. However, I would like to hear from others...what are you using...do you like it...etc...

Also can City Navigator be used on multiple GPS units. MGG would not be happy if I had new maps and she didn't! Also if I upgrade my 76CS in the future will I be albe to City Navigator on the new GPS?

Thanks for any and all help.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Garmin's policy is that when you my their software you can load it on up to two different GPSrs without having to buy and additional license. Both of the GPSrs must be registered in your name.

So if you buy it and load it on these two and upgrade your GPSrs in the future you will need to buy the software again.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought there new policy was that it was only good on 1 gps now unless you buy unlock codes for each gps.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears I am out of date (must be getting old) and that IBcrashen is correct.

Code:
Policies

Your MapSource coupon or registration code is valid for use with your own Garmin GPS unit. This agreement provides a one-user license, and it is illegal to share this data with others.

If you would like to obtain additional regions or utilize more than one Garmin GPS unit you own, you will need to purchase another code for each unit. (The exception to this is with MapSource BlueChart CD data. The region[s] you have unlocked to one compatible Garmin unit you own from a specific BlueChart CD you may unlock to ONE other compatible Garmin unit you own for no additional fee.)

Important note: Once you complete the unlock process, Garmin cannot make changes to your coverage area, transfer unlock codes to different Garmin devices or give refunds or exchanges for MapSource unlock codes. Unlock codes are GPS unit specific and cannot be transferred to another GPS unit. Please be very careful to select the regions you want to unlock. Please pay close attention to the Unlock Policy statements and FAQ’s on this website for very important information on how unlock will apply to your specific situation.

Certain customer information is shared with our data providers. These providers currently use this information for internal demographic analysis. These providers may, in the future, use this information to inform you when new data is released or new products become available.

So if you buy from Garmin it looks like $140 a pop for the software.

Amazon had City Navigator 2008 update for $56.99 with free shipping or the full version for $115.03.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for the record, this thread exists in at least a couple of other places.

Rolling Eyes Cool Cool
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Would you mind telling us where? Or is the sole intention of your post more directed at giving flak to the volunteer moderators than to helping the cause of upgrading software.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dachebo wrote:
Quote:

Would you mind telling us where? Or is the sole intention of your post more directed at giving flak to the volunteer moderators than to helping the cause of upgrading software.

Just trying to keep everything consistent. Consider it my unofficial volunteer moderation duties.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: