MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New threads vs. old

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
new_dharma
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Winter caching Reply with quote

Buzzygirl wrote:
Just wondering... how many of you enjoy winter caching? Or do you basically hibernate when the snow starts to fly? Do you prefer winter caching compared to the other seasons? What are the good/bad points of caching in the winter (besides the obvious ones, such as "no bugs" or "really cold")?

Being that I just started doing this last April, I have yet to do any winter caching, but I think it would be fun. There is something soothing about being in the snowy woods.

THIS is why i started another thread...this one wasn't about the gear to bring (didn't start that way)...it was about if people enjoyed it.
i think some sticks NEED to be removed from some BUTTS and let new threads start and not have someone bump a REALLY old thread that started out having NOTHING to do with another thread (except winter!)...heck, why not combine ALL the threads that deal with geocaching, because they are talking about the same thing...or let the forums live and let people start NEW topics!
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I understand it:

1. You CAN post to old threads.

2. You CAN'T post to old threads.

I haven't figured out the guidelines for each though.

Smile
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

new_dharma

The only reason I locked your new ‘What to bring while winter caching’ thread was that someone had already posted what to bring on this one. In turn someone would have replied to that poster, and likewise to your thread. We had two conversations discussing the same subject.

In order to try to maintain some kind of order, and reduce confusion, that is what us volunteer moderators do. Please don’t take it personally. We try the best we can. I’ll be the first to admit, we may not always get things right. But we do try.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever a moderator locks or moves a thread you started, the standard response is to post a note to northstar-cachers.org complaining about it.. Looks like they need something to talk about there. Wink
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because then the forums get cluttered with lots of topics that are related and can be combined and should be combined.
mrmnmikey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dachebo wrote:
new_dharma

In turn someone would have replied to that poster, and likewise to your thread. We had two conversations discussing the same subject.

In order to try to maintain some kind of order, and reduce confusion, that is what us volunteer moderators do. Please don’t take it personally.

OMG! We'd have discussions breaking out all over the place! Wouldn't want that on a discussion board now would we? Thank goodness we have mods. Rolling Eyes
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty simple actually. The moderators are tasked with, among other things, trying to keep the level of confusion down to a minimum. Part of that task involves closing topics that are similar enough in nature that they believe it will be confusing to have two open at the same time.

We strive to do that as equally as possible. If the current president of the MnGCA were to post a thread that was similar enough in nature to another open thread we would lock the new thread in the same fashion as has happened recently.

What's confusing to me is that the bottom line is that the information/questions that the original poster of the second thread wanted to get out is still getting out. The problem is that anyone's being censored, it's that you can't have a conversation under "your own" thread. Who cares if the topic is still being discussed? Rolling Eyes
mrmnmikey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know as a recent newby, is that almost every new thread I start to read seems to be cut off and told to go somewhere else. I have no idea what all the old threads are about and don't have time to read all of them.

I'm starting to think that new people are not tolerated well here. What harm does it do to let them have their "own thread"? Why all the strict control?
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmnmikey wrote:
All I know as a recent newby, is that almost every new thread I start to read seems to be cut off and told to go somewhere else. I have no idea what all the old threads are about and don't have time to read all of them.

So don't read them all, just go to where they pointed you and read the end. If you want to start a new thread, just start one. If it's a duplicate, rest assured, someone will let you know.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmnmikey wrote:

That has happened to two new threads if I recall correctly (unless you want to count multiple Breakfast Buddies threads).

The old threads in these cases are about the same thing as the subject that was referred to there - that's why one thread was closed down in favor of the older one.

Quote:
I'm starting to think that new people are not tolerated well here. What harm does it do to let them have their "own thread"? Why all the strict control?

This has nothing to do with new versus old. It would (and has) happen to an older person the same as it would happen to a newer person.

The idea, as has been stated earlier by myself and others, is to keep the confusion down. If you have two threads talking about the same topic (take for example winter caching), then it gets confusing. It's like being in a room and having two different conversations going on at the same time about the same subject, and having you try and partake in both at the same time. Confusion.

It also makes it much easier to try and find information later on about a subject. If there are multiple threads about it then people have to look through multiple threads on the same topic to find what they are looking for.

The bottom line is that this is the way it is. The moderators have and will continue to close threads that are duplicates or near-duplicates of existing threads. This isn't an assault on new people so please don't take offense to it - it happens to everyone new and old.
new_dharma
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
This is pretty simple actually. The moderators are tasked with, among other things, trying to keep the level of confusion down to a minimum. Part of that task involves closing topics that are similar enough in nature that they believe it will be confusing to have two open at the same time.

We strive to do that as equally as possible. If the current president of the MnGCA were to post a thread that was similar enough in nature to another open thread we would lock the new thread in the same fashion as has happened recently.

What's confusing to me is that the bottom line is that the information/questions that the original poster of the second thread wanted to get out is still getting out. The problem is that anyone's being censored, it's that you can't have a conversation under "your own" thread. Who cares if the topic is still being discussed? Rolling Eyes

if this is REALLY the case, locking the old thread would have been the correct action. That thread (which I looked at before posting) was bumped and brought back to life almost 3 years after the last post to it AND it was bumped almost an hour after my post started...the [edit:person] who bumped the old thread was the irresponsible one.
Also, the next thread I started ('What to bring...") was started at 9:57pm...the discussion in the old 'Winter' thread STILL didn't address that question...it was still (after almost 3 years!) about following tracks in the snow and disabling a cache in the winter...THEN someone made a post in the old 'Winter' thread about bringing batteries (at 10:48pm...almost an hour later); THAT post was off topic and the MODS should have moved it.
I made an attempt to start a new topic, unrelated to the old one EXCEPT that winter was involved and geocaching was involved...one dealing with the gear to bring along; the other about making tracks/doubling back/walking in circles...
someone made the comment (same [edit:person] who bumped a REALLY old thread):
loneeagle_24 wrote:

There was already a topic started "Winter Caching" Was just trying to keep it on the same thread. SB would have locked it after finding the same thread, I just am not a moderator of this area of the website, so I couldn't do this myself.

it does NOT change the fact that the two threads were (are?) about different aspects of winter caching...i think one thread with 2 different areas of discussion going on is confusing...which is why I don't know why my second thread was closed...it asked a question NOT related to the (dare i say) original 'Winter' thread.
done for the moment
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

new_dharma,

We're doing the best we can here.
If I, or any other moderator hurt your feelings, I sincerely apologize on our behalf. We're just a handful of volunteers trying to help out, by taking some of our valuable time and donating it to reading, editing, arranging, & keeping these forums clean enough for family viewing.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

new_dharma wrote:
That thread (which I looked at before posting) was bumped and brought back to life almost 3 years after the last post to it AND it was bumped almost an hour after my post started...the [edit:person] who bumped the old thread was the irresponsible one.

Nope, regardless of the "bump" I would have locked your thread and linked to that thread. I have an incredible memory when it comes to what threads exist on this Forum and would have been on top of it.

I'm sorry that you disagree with the actions of the Forum Moderation Team when it comes to keeping the Forum organized, but it will continue. Hopefully after spending some more time here you will come to understand that after being in operation for five years, we have learned a thing or two about how to keep order and that we don't act as we do for no reason.

Have a great day and happy cachin'!
new_dharma
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dachebo wrote:
new_dharma,
If I, or any other moderator hurt your feelings

Blah!
takes more than moving a thread in a forum to do that!

Now it seems like the MODS are on the defensive...
Did you actually READ what was posted and see the two threads were about DIFFERENT aspects of winter caching (i even tried to repost my original under a different title) OR did you just see they both were about winter caching? You state you want to cut down on confusion by not having more than one thread about the same topic...i can see that...but you now have 1 thread talking about 2 different things...how is THAT not confusing? THAT is the thing I have an issue with...and yet you (the MODS) keep giving a canned response that you want to eliminate confusion Confused !
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not on the defensive but you're unnecessarily trying to make a lot more out of this than really exists.

Just because something isn't identically related to the topic you wish to speak about, it still should appear under Winter Caching. Forum topics go in many different directions but stay under a main topic category.

Unfortunately, this discussion isn't ending and is going round and round in circles. If you have any further issues with how moderation occurs here on this forum, please take it up with the Board.

Locked.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Website All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: