MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

October 2007 - Cache of the Month Nominees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: October 2007 - Cache of the Month Nominees Reply with quote

The nominated caches for October 2007 are:

GCHXB9 - Mountain Goat by Candy Apple Green
Nominated by TheGilby3
I have been waiting to nominate Mountain Goat by Candy Apple Green since we completed it last year, until this fall. The reason being, is that to get the absolute most out of this cache, it should be done in the fall during the changing colors of the trees. In over two years of caching, this cache has given me one of my all time favorite memories, and it is for sure one of my top five favorite hides. All three of TheGilby3 did this well hidden, clever multi right at the peak of the color change (Oct 4th 2006). The hike was breathtaking, with photo opportunities at every twist and turn of the trail. I can not speak highly enough of this cache. If you haven't done it, this fall is the perfect time to do it. The cool air, with the water below you, and the river banks FILLED with reds, yellows, oranges, purples, greens, and browns. AWESOME! Not to mention, the final hide was placed exactly where I wanted it to be. We found this one in very early October last year. So, if you plan on getting to this one during the peak, you may have to act fast. To me, this is what caching is all about!

GC144CK - Walk on Water by bmoren
Nominated by dachebo
Every so often Iíll find a geocache that rises slightly above the best ones Iíve encountered lately. Walk on Water is one such cache. A first hide by bmoren, Itís three and a half star terrain rating could probably be dropped a star on a nice day. I enjoyed it and hope you do too.

GCY00P - Kitchen Cove Cache by annakido
Nominated by 83pony
I would like to submit Kitchen Cove Cache, as October cache of the month. It was hidden by annakido, who is a very experienced cacher and cache planter in her own right. The cache lends some very interesting hiking, and near climbing, but is friendly for nearly anyone who likes a good hike, especially in the hills around Winona. The area is very beautiful, and the view is gorgeous from the area of the cache, where you can see for miles up and down the Mississippi River, the city of Winona, and Wisconsin. I recommend you take a drive to Winona this month (Oct.) and enjoy the autumn colors and sites of Winona and the surrounding area, and check out annakido's Kitchen Cove Cache.

The vote will not start until October 25th to allow everyone time to find the nominated caches. Also, please feel free to post reviews or thoughts on the nominated caches in this thread if you have found them.

To nominate caches for November, just email me at gps@july15.com or PM me here.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain Goat, talk about an older cache that needs to remain in place! I always love caching in that area (who would have known you were in a major metropolis?) and I always loved caches by CAG.

Check out my log and pictures here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=18812b7a-cba4-4b58-b039-e9201facc5a4

Even though it's three years old, it still holds water as one of the better caches I have done in the area and I highly recommend that others go out and attempt it!
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you entertaining the idea of going after "Mountain Goat, here is an update:

I checked on the cache today, and everything is in perfect shape, but the fall colors are only at about 20 to 30% of peak though. I would give it about a few days to a week to really get the colors going. That would be about the right time for this expected rain to clear up too. Rain and doing this cache is not a good combination. Watch your footings! And for those of you that are bringing children along, we brought our 4 year old along last year, and she had a blast. However, watch them like a hawk! Have fun and GOOD LUCK!
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Walk on Water fabulous!! Reply with quote

Did this one with 2 kids today -- what a fantastic spot, we all loved it and spent over an hour wading, sunning and enjoying the area after we scored the find.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did this one with 2 kids today -- what a fantastic spot, we all loved it and spent over an hour wading, sunning and enjoying the area after we scored the find.

You forgot to mention which cache ! Very Happy GC144CK - Walk on Water
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday Arcticabn, Moe the Sleaze and I headed down to Winona for a short day of caching (6 AM leave from my house and 4:30 arrive back so I could attend the first Minnesota RollerGirls bout of the season). My sole intention was to get Kitchen Cove (brought to my attention via this thread) and after a short discussion with a co-worker this week, nab some awesome photos of both the gorgeous vista views and the fall colors running rampant in SE Minnesota.

Arcticabn, predictably, planned the route around Kitchen Cove and after a quick change to the order after seeing the gorgeous weather in store for us, we were off to find 25 caches most of which were just awesome. Obviously there were some ordinary caches but the day was not overrun with them as they usually seem to be and I ended up getting a great workout and had another excellent day with my friends.

We decided to hit Kitchen Cove first and after realizing that both Moe and I were already familiar with this cache, we headed up the towards the top of the bluff with direction from annakido. The fall colors and the views were fantastic! I spent nearly the entire time after getting near ground zero shaking from my fear while Moe and Arcticabn scaled the bluff nearby like a bunch of monkeys. In the end Arcticabn spotted the cache less than 12" away from the exact spot I had spent the last 15 minutes scared out of my gourd.

After that we did some more caches in Winona and then headed back up Highway 61 towards home. Along the way we stopped at another EXCELLENT cache that everyone should check out if they plan on doing Kitchen Cove, Eagles eye view, which offers clear panoramic views from the top of the bluff and which has a lot less scary hike than Kitchen Cove.

Check out my pics from the trip here: http://www.lazylightning.org/gallery2/v/geocaching/gc-200710/gc-20071020/

I also have a YouTube video of the panoramic shot here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=lqH2m3OPM6g

Thanks to annakido for giving me another excuse to get back to Winona and do some of the other awesome caches with picturesque views in and around those gorgeous bluffs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: