MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed for Compass and Geocaching program on October 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TECGeoJim
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Help needed for Compass and Geocaching program on October 13 Reply with quote

I have volunteered to lead a program for 12-18 year olds and their moms in Shakopee on Saturday, October 13th ( date correction) and I could use some help.

The program is officially through the Boy Scouts of America Venturing Program. It is for the children who are visiting their mothers at the Shakopee Women's Prison. The kids get a one day a month visit and often, after the first few minutes, the time just drags on. The Boys Scouts have organized a monthly program for those kids and those moms who want to participate. The themes were chosen earlier by the kids and their moms. October's theme is Survivor and is to include instruction and games involving the compass, GPS and geocaching.

We only have from after the 1:00 p.m. security count until before the 3:00 p.m. security count at the prison. I expect that we can only count on about 60 - 90 minutes. The participation is completely voluntary and last month there were about 15 kids and about 15 women participating in the Olympics theme. I am planning for up to 40 participants.

I can get about a dozen GPSr's and compasses to use. We have access to an outdoor area that is for a football/soccer field and a baseball diamond. We also have use of some classrooms in case of bad weather. I plan on having some Boy Scout leaders to help and hope to have some people from MnGCA to help.

I will need FULL NAME, DATE OF BIRTH, and DRIVERS LICENSE # of
all volunteers participating for clearance by the prison officials.

If you are interested in helping, please let me know!

Jim Colby (TECGeoJim)
(952) 881-3912

Last edited by TECGeoJim on Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to Geocaching Outreach
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, were you able to find any volunteers? I see this is coming up next weekend - maybe there are a couple that can help out now that the weekend is nearer if you still need help.
TECGeoJim
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that I had a Geocaching volunteer but that didn't work out. I do have a couple Boy Scout helpers who know compass but not GPS. I'll make it work.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have volunteered if I could have but mommas got me on the honey do list in exchange for next weekend.
Sorry Jim.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am already too much on the grid to give that kind of information. Our trip to Crawford, TX this last summer put me way too much in the spotlight. I am certain I am now in some Secret Service or FBI database.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: