MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Valley - Teacher looking for Assistance
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI, a possible resource for those looking for GPS/geocaching class/presentation that are in the Three Rivers Park District.

I spoke with Alex McKinney (763) 694-7720 of the Three Rivers Park District and they can provide a scheduled GPS class (with optional geocaching) for groups which includes use of GPS receivers. (It's the same class that they occasionally offer on the weekends.) It can be scheduled at other parks in the Three Rivers Park District. The class goes over GPS basics, how GPS works and how to use the GPS receivers. Then they go outside and mark one waypoint as a group and (optionally) then break up into small groups to seak out a geocache or two that is in the park. They estimate the class with one geocache takes around 3 hours. The cost depends on the number of students/participants (they would need the number to get the exact price) but it is basically around $3.40/student. They don't charge for the GPS 'rental', but if one is broken they will charge $150 to replace it.

To me, this sounds like a great option for those in or near the Three Rivers Park District. But I can't say too much since I haven't seen the class and know how much (or little) it talks about geocaching. Has anyone taken the class from the Three Rivers Park District and can comment on it? If the Apple Valley class decides to go this route I hope to tag along and add more geocaching related info if needed.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been approached by some 4th grade teachers at the school where I work. They've decided I'm an expert (HA) and want me to consult for a geocaching unit they are doing. I think they are purchasing the GPSrs.
Quote:
Are there some 'canned' materials or general guidlines that the MnGCA has for these kind of presentations (other than the gc.com's Intro to gc)? What have others done before? Is there a collection of other presentations that have been done so I could 'pick and choose' from those?

I spoke with Alex McKinney (763) 694-7720 of the Three Rivers Park District and they can provide a scheduled GPS class (with optional geocaching) for groups which includes use of GPS receivers. (It's the same class that they occasionally offer on the weekends.) It can be scheduled at other parks in the Three Rivers Park District. The class goes over GPS basics, how GPS works and how to use the GPS receivers. Then they go outside and mark one waypoint as a group and (optionally) then break up into small groups to seak out a geocache or two that is in the park. They estimate the class with one geocache takes around 3 hours. The cost depends on the number of students/participants (they would need the number to get the exact price) but it is basically around $3.40/student. They don't charge for the GPS 'rental', but if one is broken they will charge $150 to replace it.

To me, this sounds like a great option for those in or near the Three Rivers Park District. But I can't say too much since I haven't seen the class and know how much (or little) it talks about geocaching. Has anyone taken the class from the Three Rivers Park District and can comment on it? If the Apple Valley class decides to go this route I hope to tag along and add more geocaching related info if needed.

I'm happy and excited to work with them, but I too am wondering what is already out there available for use.

And MSteffel, how are things going with your school project?
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent two emails and haven't gotten a response to either. I'm not sure if she took the information and scheduled it herself with Three Rivers or what. I'll send her another email tonight.

Merkman has a topic going that has a bunch of presentations that may help http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3364
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msteffel wrote:
Just an FYI, a possible resource for those looking for GPS/geocaching class/presentation that are in the Three Rivers Park District.

Wouldn't it be nice if a geocaching organization could provide this service? Sad
Maybe someday. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: