MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evil Weather Conditions or Evil Cacher

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Evil Weather Conditions or Evil Cacher Reply with quote

I realize there might be some on and off controversy about COTM voting and all, but this I find fascinating. I am certain it has to be weather related because I don't know why any cacher would do this even if they WERE irritated (with me).

Foul Water - Gone, hook, line and sinker. The fact that not a trace was left behind leads me to believe that it was taken rather than having floated away in a storm.

Wam, Pow, Sok - Gone. Now, I realize that there were storms with wind that can topple trees, but, the cache was connected fairly securely to an eye hook that had a pretty good curve to it, where the cache "could" stay in place with even a VERY strong wind. The hook is still in place (but I couldn't turn it out).

Cannon River Bend - This cache was probably doomed by the fact it wasn't attached to its hidey hole. I had originally thought that maybe storm water helped sweep it away. But then I came to realize that the cache was at least 3-4' above the line of high spring river levels. I don't think this missing cache was intentionally taken but was caused by carelessness, on either my part or the previous finders.

The other two caches I have archived this season were for other reasons. When I took away these two, the remaining archived caches stood out as COTM nominees.

Again, I am pointing out that I find this fascinating. I would hope that no matter what you think of me perrsonally that you'd still find my hides worthy of a good time.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Evil Weather Conditions or Evil Cacher Reply with quote

I got upset once when someone stole all three stages of an acro-multi I did. The final, in particular, would never have been found accidentally. I thought someone was mad at me, but since a bunch of my easier caches were left in place, I now think that someone in the parks dept didn't like people climbing trees.

Cannon River Bend could have been muggled.. It would have been easy to spot if a muggle went over there for some reason. Too high to be swept away. Maybe you could go back in the logs to see if anyone had anything bad to say about the cache.. Wink

The other two could have been taken by someone in authority or some muggle with time on his hands who thought you were despoiling nature.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart,

Cannon River Bend most definately was not above the spring flood stage. After finding that it was missing, I checked the log jam that is on the bank downstream of and above it. That river is a watershed for a very large area and gets considerable flooding. I can't see someone running the river just to muggle one of a series of your caches. If they were gonna do that, I'm sure they'd do them all.

Sorry to hear about the others. I especially enjoyed Wam, Pow, Sok!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: