MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

60CSx misdirection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
onionpond
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: 60CSx misdirection Reply with quote

We recently purchased a Garmin 60CSx and are pretty happy with it. There is one problem I am having though. The arrow on the compass window points torward the Cache location in the pickup just fine, but when we are on the trail holding the GPSr horizontal, the arrow points in any direction but the Cache location. If I hold the GPSr vertical it will again point torwards the Cache location. Are there any other 60CSx owners who have had a similar problem?
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 60CSx misdirection Reply with quote

onionpond wrote:
We recently purchased a Garmin 60CSx and are pretty happy with it. There is one problem I am having though. The arrow on the compass window points torward the Cache location in the pickup just fine, but when we are on the trail holding the GPSr horizontal, the arrow points in any direction but the Cache location. If I hold the GPSr vertical it will again point torwards the Cache location. Are there any other 60CSx owners who have had a similar problem?

I have the 60Cx and never had that problem. Sounds like maybe the electronic compass is out of whack and might need to be calibrated.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calibrate your digital compass Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others have said, turn off the electronic compass. Also, if you are using autorouting and you told it to follow the road, it will keep pointing to the spot on the road closest to the cache, and not the cache itself. I usually use autorouting to get close, then when I park and dismount, I find the waypoint again and tell it to go "off road" instead of "follow road."
onionpond
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
[Calibrate your digital compass] Rolling Eyes

After every battery change!! I guess that will teach me to read the whole sentence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: