MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KARE 11
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: KARE 11 Reply with quote

Here is an excerpt from an email I received today:

Quote:
I've heard a lot about geocaching through the grapevine. I've been told its so fun and growing so much that we need to feature it on our KARE 11 News EXTRA. We want to do just that, especially heading into the 5 year celebration. We'd like to connect and learn more from some of your most colorful, seasoned, and passionate cachers. As you know, things in TV news are never easy. Here's the rub: We have two days to shoot our story and those dates are fast approaching. The dates are Wednesday July 18th and Thursday July 19th. We can shoot morning, noon, or night. Maybe there are a couple of really great locations we can hunt down with some of you. I hope we can connect, we hope to shed some light on this growing sport (part of our focus is getting people out, to enjoy the outdoors!)

What I would like here is a "colorful, seasoned, and passionate" metro cacher to take the lead and work with the reporter to present geocaching. Certainly one could consider WeekNIGHT caching as part of that presentation. Showing a couple of high-quality caches would also be ideal (COTM nominees or winners would be a good idea to start).

Please email or PM me directly and I'll get you in contact with the reporter if you're interested.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend Gilby take this on and host WNC somewhere in the metro area.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of suggestions:

1) Have the report done in an community that is already VERY geocaching friendly. An unaware community might be caught off guard and do the "knee-jerk".

2) A very interesting yet UNRECOGNIZABLE cache location. Muggles would come out of the woodwork trying to find these if they thought they recognized the spot. It would be the death warrant for many.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosevilles central park is a great spot, plus you can use the tie in with the Winter Carnival Medallion hunt which was found there this year. Lots of good caches and good spots to find a cache.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree, Roseville would be a good location for a community that has embraced geocaching.

Additionally, it would be nice to go to a scenic location as well. Something along the river. I know it's more of a drive, but Shaar's Bluff is a great park with some really scenic views.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an idea:

Take them to caches in one of the County Park systems that has an easy, on-line viewed Geocaching policy. Ramsey County and 3 Rivers with their registration process and Washington County with their "as long as it's approved by GC.com, it's OK with us" policy. Then a mention that Anoka County has yet to put a policy in place. That might speed things up with Anoka County. Most caches in these park systems require some hiking to get to and usually are very 'family friendly'. After all, it sounds like the getting outdoors aspect is an angle they are interested in.

And be sure to emphasize CITO. Parks love this part of geocaching.

Sure, there are great caches in Roseville and Posen surely fits the bill as a passionate and colorful cacher, but these three counties have established policies that can be quoted by KARE 11 without raising anyone's eyebrows in cities without formal written policies.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to Grey Wolf!

Great point on the "If it's okay with GC, it's okay with us" parks! It shows a good precedent for other communities to follow.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGilby3 wrote:

Great point on the "If it's okay with GC, it's okay with us" parks! It shows a good precedent for other communities to follow.

That's pretty much what Washington County's Department of Transportation
and Physical Development Parks Division Policy # P010 says. (it's a Word document on their website)
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He He He I had emailed KARE11 and suggested they contact the MNGCA weeknight caching and do a story as part of Perk-at-Play!
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGilby3 wrote:
A couple of suggestions:

1) Have the report done in an community that is already VERY geocaching friendly. An unaware community might be caught off guard and do the "knee-jerk".

2) A very interesting yet UNRECOGNIZABLE cache location. Muggles would come out of the woodwork trying to find these if they thought they recognized the spot. It would be the death warrant for many.

Yes yes.

I've dealt with #2 for newspaper articles in the past and Esko has dealt with it for TV.

One thing I would suggest is contacting the cacher owner in advance to give them an idea what you're going to do. It gives them a chance to voice their opinion if they aren't in favor of it (or if you're like Esko then just take them to one of your own caches).

Someone suggested to me today that we focus on the family aspects of caching as well - something that I strongly suggest.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Wolf and Wild Rice wrote:
Here's an idea:

Take them to caches in one of the County Park systems that has an easy, on-line viewed Geocaching policy. Ramsey County and 3 Rivers with their registration process and Washington County with their "as long as it's approved by GC.com, it's OK with us" policy. Then a mention that Anoka County has yet to put a policy in place. That might speed things up with Anoka County. Most caches in these park systems require some hiking to get to and usually are very 'family friendly'. After all, it sounds like the getting outdoors aspect is an angle they are interested in.

And be sure to emphasize CITO. Parks love this part of geocaching.

Sure, there are great caches in Roseville and Posen surely fits the bill as a passionate and colorful cacher, but these three counties have established policies that can be quoted by KARE 11 without raising anyone's eyebrows in cities without formal written policies.

I agree lets support those who support us.
Also let them know that we spend money in their community ie WeekNight Caching and Breakfast Buddies.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:
He He He I had emailed KARE11 and suggested they contact the MNGCA weeknight caching and do a story as part of Perk-at-Play!

Eric Perkins geocaching....... Now that is something I would love to see.

Just think Eric Perkins at MOGA. Laughing
Dat's funny.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe SB would volunteer to do the tick dance on KARE 11. Laughing
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:
Maybe SB would volunteer to do the tick dance on KARE 11. Laughing

The tick dance is dead -- well it better be with me caching this weekend...
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea well I'm bring the Video camera just in case Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Media Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: