MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 76 mount

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Garmin 76 mount Reply with quote

Now I'm in the market for a auto mount for my 76. In the past I've been able to wedge my GPS units between the dash and the windshield and they've stayed put. I can't do that in one vehicle with the 76, so it tends to go flying during bumpy roads, quick turns, etc.

I'm aware of the state laws regarding suction cups. That said, I'm willing to consider anything.

I've heard lots about the bean-bag mounts, but this seems like a fairly expensive way to go as it means you still need to buy the actual mount as well. The total cost ends up being around $60 at first glance.

How heavy is the bean bag mount? Does anyone ever have problems with it falling over or moving around?

I'm most interested in having the GPS in the same location that I've had it in for years - on the dash.

Other suggestions for mounts?
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velcro is cheep
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:
Velcro is cheep

Yes, but the only way to keep it upright would be to put velcro on the windshield. I'd like to avoid that I guess.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get one of those removable suction cup notepad things for less than $5. I got mine at Staples, but not available online, and purchase an extra beltclip. Remove the notepad and clip assembly from the notepad. Mount a Garmin beltclip ($5?) to the plastic with screws or epoxy. Adjustable to most angles.

Got this idea from an engineer friend of mine in Florida.

Sure, it's not legal on MN, but look at all the GPS navigational units mounted on suction cups and the big Blue hang tags on the rear view mirrors that are supposed to be removed when vehicle is being operated out there.
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the Garmin bean bag mount, and have for years. It's perfect for your 76 (which is also what I own). It's worth the money. You can carry it from car to car, and it stays in place in perfect viewing/handling position.

Yes, you'll need the beanbag part and also the 76-specific mount.

Contact tvnav.com or gpscity.com (I've bought and have been happy with both of them) and they'll spec out exactly what you need.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say if it is just one car be a rebel and get a suction cup mount, even if a cop pulls you over and tries to add that on I'm guessing you could plead ignorance and the "everyone else has one I had no idea route" If you are moving between cars you can't beat the beanbag. I have one for my 60cx that I move between my personal car, my car for work and rental cars when we are on the road. I like it for that flexibility and the fact that it is small enough that I can pull my 60 out of it, keep it with me and stash the bean bag and cord in the center console and there is no evidence of any electronic gizmos in the car. The base itself has great grip, even with an angled dash it sticks in place pretty much 100% of the time.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
I would say if it is just one car be a rebel and get a suction cup mount, even if a cop pulls you over and tries to add that on I'm guessing you could plead ignorance and the "everyone else has one I had no idea route"

Unfortunately that doesn't work. Now, the cop might not even know of the ridiculous and obscure regulation but that's a different thing all together.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
MNMizzou wrote:
I would say if it is just one car be a rebel and get a suction cup mount, even if a cop pulls you over and tries to add that on I'm guessing you could plead ignorance and the "everyone else has one I had no idea route"

Unfortunately that doesn't work. Now, the cop might not even know of the ridiculous and obscure regulation but that's a different thing all together.

It's not an issue for me as I'm already not in compliance (not considering a GPS mount).
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a cool cupholder mount if you are interested in that?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cup-Holder-Mount-for-GARMIN-76-76C-76S-76CS-60-60C-GPS_W0QQitemZ170124562057QQihZ007QQcategoryZ58046QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on merkman, you know as well as I do that a Garmin's antenna is not strong enough to pull in a signal that far away from a window. Laughing
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try looking at RAM mounts.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireman121 wrote:
Try looking at RAM mounts.

I like RAM mounts a lot although they are usually on the pricey side.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
Come on merkman, you know as well as I do that a Garmin's antenna is not strong enough to pull in a signal that far away from a window. Laughing

Absolutely, positively WRONG. My 76Cx pulls in 10 sat while in my basement. Anywhere in the care it pulls all of the sats. The new SRIF III is a significant improvement over the older antenna.

You can also get a patch antenna that you can plug into the GPSr.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Absolutely, positively WRONG. My 76Cx pulls in 10 sat while in my basement. Anywhere in the care it pulls all of the sats. The new SRIF III is a significant improvement over the older antenna.

I'll say. The x series (like my 60csx) has far better reception than the older x-less models.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second that... I've had my 60cx inside my center console and it doesn't miss a beat (as seen by the non-stop trail for those who are curious how I'd know without being able to look at it)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: