MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

June 2007 Cache of the Month - VOTE HERE

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which cache should be the June 2007 Cache of the Month?
°Roberto Verde!
53%
 53%  [ 8 ]
DRY LAKE
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 15

Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: June 2007 Cache of the Month - VOTE HERE Reply with quote

This vote will run from June 24th through June 30th 2007.

GCVE8Z - °Roberto Verde! by Team Ramrod (s4xton and Silent Bob)
Nominated by bflentje
I've had this cache on my list for quite a while. Once I completed the cache, I was only disappointed that I hadn't done it sooner. This cache is located in a hidden gem of a park, Miesville Ravine. It has many elements that I look for in a cache.

To get to the cache, there is a stream to cross, either by wading or by natural bridge (the stream is "double dog dare you" quality with sandy bottom and very clear). Some flat and clear walking trails. Some incline and bushwacking near the end. Spectacular view once a top the bluff at GZ. But not too physically difficult. And at GZ you aren't tasked with locating a "micro in the woods" but a pleasantly placed ammo can that still required some, but a minimal amount, of searching. It had the perfect mix of everything.

And for the number cachers, in this park you'll find a few other caches along the way to to help bump up the count a bit. There are two easier caches you can find on the way and then there's Knowschad's great multi-cache on the other side of the park. And take note of the series on the Cannon River, which runs right into Miesville Ravine. A group of cachers can easily pickup 10 caches on a canoe run from Cannon Falls to Miesville Ravine, probably a 3 to 4 hour adventure.

GCJG8P - DRY LAKE by eagleyes
Nominated by Pear Head
Iím nominating Dry Lake by eagleyes for Cache of the Month. This cache, which was placed in August of 2004, is an excellent example of what caching is all about. The cache takes you on a scenic trip around Dry Lake north of Ely, MN. This cache (to me anyway) isnít about the container itself Ė itís about the hike to get to the container.

To fully appreciate the area youíre hiking in, youíll need to plan on nabbing the other two caches in the area, Dry Lake at Bass Falls (also a COTM nominee) and Bass Lake Vista. The three caches will have you traveling about 7.5 miles total. Youíll hike all the way around Dry Lake and up one side of Bass Lake. The views along this trail are stunning.

I found the cache in August, 2004 with EskoClimber (who was the FTF). I was reminded of how beautiful the area is after Moe the Sleaze, Team Hooligan, and Silent Bob recently visited it.

You can find pictures from my trip here.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it hadn't been for "Green Robert", I wouldn't even know this park existed. Since then, I've placed two caches there and bflentje has place two others (as well as some that need canoe access). This was an excellent example of a classic geocache... a nice hike through a relatively untamed park, great excercise, and an beautiful view with ammo box full of stuff at the end.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what happened to my nominations: A series for nomination: Rocky Top GCGQEC; Goldmine Lake GCPN8D; Could it be Minnesota? GCPN87
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:
what happened to my nominations: A series for nomination: Rocky Top GCGQEC; Goldmine Lake GCPN8D; Could it be Minnesota? GCPN87

My guess is they're up for next month...

CW
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
CamoCacher wrote:

My guess is they're up for next month...

CW

AHH DOH
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm torn... Mine or one of the better caches in Ely. Hmmm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: