MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TerraCaching.com not a Minnesota thing...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abnerone
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: TerraCaching.com not a Minnesota thing... Reply with quote

In my effort to explore all that is geocaching, I noticed on the wikipedia geocaching page that it describes TerraCaching.com as perhaps the 2nd largest website that keeps track of caches in the county. So I thought I would check it out. I found out that in order to see the caches, I need to become a member. In order to become a member, I need a couple sponsors. Ok. So I posted a request for sponsorship forum, and had a few sponsors a day later.

After logging in and viewing their maps, I was very shocked to see that they only had 5 caches listed for Minnesota (compared to 5207 MN caches on gecocaching.com.) I first I thought it was a mistake, but I think I am using the site correctly. I did notice that on a USA country wide map, there are hot spot of terracaching use. Such as Chicagoland area, and southern California.

Like ebay, it is all about the numbers I guess, and whoever is on top, will probably never be dethroned unless they really really muck things up something fierce. Who you personally ever try to auction something on an ebay competitor? No, cause there would be a fraction of people seeing your auction.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know of my limited experience over there.

Take care
abnerone
Bad_CRC
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of monopolies in any way.

but

I have yet to see any abuse of "power" by geocaching.com though, I'd imagine if that ever happens, then there will be migrations.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: TerraCaching.com not a Minnesota thing... Reply with quote

abnerone wrote:
I was very shocked to see that they only had 5 caches listed for Minnesota

One of those 5 caches is the exact same virtual as my Mary Tyler Moore cache... the funny thing is that you can find the answer to the Terracache virtual question on my geo.com page. Not very original.

I used to belong to Terracaching, but one of my sponsors quit the site and so now I am a Terra-orphan Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I test drove the site way back when I started caching and I just couldn't get into it. Geocaching.com has issues.. but at least it gets the traffic to be successful.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of monopolies either.

However I also only have 24 hours in a day, and seven days in a week. That time gets distributed and used up much too quickly as it is. Therefor I'm forced to make decisions on how to best use what time I have.

Yes, gc.com has issues, so does every other website and consequently every other aspect of life. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad and hope you've made the decision that works best for you.

I tried terracaching.com once, it took me a little while to find sponsors. When I did get on to look around, I found there wasn't much activity in the area. Sadly, I don't have the time or energy to make use of multiple geocaching sites, nor the extra effort to get a site off the proverbial ground in my area. Sure I could place caches wherever I wanted on tc.com, however they probably wouldn't get visited as much, or possibly get mistakenly found by someone looking for a nearby gc.com cache.

So, I choose to stick with gc.com. Not because I'm loyal, not because I'm always satisfied with it, but simply because I'm trying to make the best use of the time I have.
FlagFinder
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the GC forums i asked if i could list my geocaches on the three geocaching sites and well that didnt make them happy. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlagFinder wrote:
in the GC forums i asked if i could list my geocaches on the three geocaching sites and well that didnt make them happy. Sad

That's like asking Microsoft if you can run Firefox on your computer. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: