MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Duluth Internet Service's?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Duluth Internet Service's? Reply with quote

Hey all...I'm up in Duluth for Father's Day (and I'll attempt to get DLH's stupid cache on my way out of town Razz ) and I'm realizing my parents don't have the best internet available. They're still running dial-up through Earthlink, and they're actually on the limited plan because they don't want to spend too much on the service.

I'm thinking that as a gift to them for the future, I may try to pay for some sort of service for them, but I'd like to know what people up here in the area are using. It would also give me a chance to be online when I'm up here at times Razz I don't think I want to cover DSL for them, and they don't have cable either, so I'm looking slightly in the $20-25 range for unlimited service per month if possible. Anyone have any reccomendations, or horror stories?

And how about the Clearwire service? Anyone have any info about that service?

Thanks
Celticwulf
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the service providers in the area. But you might want to chat with them first and find out if they are really using the internet much. They may only be accessing it for e-mail and you would be wasting your money giving them more service they they would use, even if they had it.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, Celtic is just thinking of himself the next time he's visiting them Laughing
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Clearwire often and it's ok - I use it in a low-signal area which makes it hard sometimes...

I would rethink DSL - Qwest is $27/month for life I think. Not sure if Telephone Associates is similar or not.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Wild Blue satellite out of town, probably way more than they need, but we're too far for DSL.

First thing I'd do - just get a wireless receiver and see what's floating around. A friend of mine uses TacoNet, courtesy of the local Taco Bell!

Which of DLH's stupid cache's are you looking for? You need to be specific on that.... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: