MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Da Vinci Code

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Da Vinci Code Reply with quote

I just got done reading The Da Vinci Code and while I don't want to get into the book here, I was looking over the cover and found a kind of hidden code on the jacket. It is very faint but on the jacket you can find the coordinates 37 57' 6.5"N 77 8' 44"W in reverse writing. It really looks like there is a period between the 6 and 5 and I understand that doesnt make sense but thats what I see. I have been able to deduce that that location is in Washington D.C. but how can I find out what is there?

Anyone know a good web site that can help me.

Thanks, tomslusher
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that location in MinDec format as N37 57.108 W77 08.733, which is ESE of Bowling Green, VA and near a military reservation. Not Washington, DC. But maybe I botched the conversion.

Anyway, its at the center of this image:

http://terraservice.net/GetImageArea.ashx?t=1&s=10&lon=-77.145555&lat=37.951805&w=1280&h=1024&f=Tahoma,Arial,Sans-serif&fs=8&fc=ffffffff&logo=1

You can kind of make out a circular area there. Crater? Retouched photo? Invent your own consiparcy theory!!!

If I botched the coords, let me know!

-Rick (Now being watched by the NSA)
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This spot is just off of Salvia Road.

I never heard of Salvia before, but I found this...

Quote:
From Sunday Feb 24, 2002 Chicago Tribune:

"STREET DRUGS: Here's how the sales pitches read: WEED!!! New intoxicating
smokable herb considered the strongest mood enhancer and aphrodisiac on the
market due to our patented extract process which heightens the potency of the
Salvia herbs (the active ingredient) Salvia--the strongest smokable herb on
the planet!!! Contains Salvia Divinorum, pure ephedra, avena sativah,
psychoactive herbs extracted for high potency concentrate.
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who like puzzles, go to this link: DaVinci code link

Go to Dan Brown's website (he's the author) to get to two puzzles. One is listed above and is easier and the second puzzle notes the coordinates I have asked about. I have gotten to the question "What enigmatic sculpture stands one degree north of the location listed in the code."

Anyone willing to help?

tomslusher
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After more extensive searching, I found that answer. On to the next clue.

tomslusher
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I wasted a few minutes on The original Davinci Code link puzzle, which was completely anticlimatic in the end ("Don't forget to drink your Ovaltine"). I've heard his book is like that as well Smile

I'm afraid to try the "new" challenge, for fear it will end the same way.

-Rick
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh!!! They sucked me back in, and the result was no more satisfying than with the first puzzle. I don't understand why they would take the time to create such an intricate puzzle web with no payoff at the end.

Somebody (RJ) should turn these into a geocache so that at least there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

-Rick
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gotten sucked into all the dan brown books...even if I wasn't that impressed with the "code"...angels and demon's was much better and part of the "cheap idea" behind "happy birthday bob".

I will be reading the rest of his books in next few weeks...maybe I can develop some cool caches after reading them all.....
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've enjoyed all his books and enjoyed the puzzle too. I've been thinking of doing a Da Vinci Code themed cache but havn't had the time lately. . .
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the DaVinci code was a pretty decent read, but I *really* liked "Angels & Demons" - it moved along at a lightning-fast clip, and I ended up reading it twice in two weeks. I was actually in Rome at the time of the 2nd read, and I had a great time visiting all the places he used in the book - I can vouch for the fact that he was almost always dead-on in his descriptions and locations of the spots in the book.

I thought his "Digital Fortress" was a disappointment, but my wife liked it. LMK if anyone wants to borrow it, I'd recommend a loaner or a library first on this one.

Hmm, as long as I'm rambing, as a spoiler for the question above, I think it's the "Kryptos" sculpture and it can be seen here. Regards,

-Ken
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Da Vinci Code downloaded into the iPAQ, but haven't read too much. OT, but the post about reading Angels & Demons in Rome reminds me of a story posted on the gc.com threads way back when they were a better place to visit--someone was in D.C. reading a book where the characters were leaving messages for each other in a cubbyhole in a statue--the person reading the book happened upon the same statue while touring D.C., found the cubbyhole, and there was a note inside that read "Great book, wasn't it?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: