MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caching along the SHT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:

I gave the link for the trails in GPX track format to Pear Head for future determination.

I am going to try downloading this today when I get back on a high-speed connection (it appears to be rather large).

The data appears old though - this page indicates it's from the fall of 2003. A lot of the Duluth stuff has happened since then.

I'll have to look a little closer at some of the maps they have available as well.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map for the Duluth portion of the SHT will be ready by June 2nd
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out about a new book about the SHT called "Walking Guide to the Superior Hiking Trail"

Of note is the fact that this site has waypoints for geological, botanical, historical, or scenic features. Descriptions of the hikes can be found at trails.com and the waypoint files (in gdb format) can be found here.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

The data appears old though - this page indicates it's from the fall of 2003. A lot of the Duluth stuff has happened since then.

The map that they provide in gpx format is old. It shows the trail starting NE of Two Harbors at Silver Creek.

I'll follow what they do map to see what other caches are on the trail that I missed.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0adc22ff-d78c-4d14-8e4a-8014593818ec

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=af93f476-7a69-4000-8c33-35cc176bccdd
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0adc22ff-d78c-4d14-8e4a-8014593818ec

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=af93f476-7a69-4000-8c33-35cc176bccdd

Thanks - I got those already (probably after you looked at them). I'm still working my way up the trail on Google Earth at the moment...
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 39 caches on the list now (plus I'm working on clarifying the access to a KB cache still). I'm pretty sure I got everything NE of Two Harbors. The ones between Duluth and Two Harbors, especially in Duluth, are a lot more difficult as the maps are either poor or non-existent. I did all of the old (2003 and before) trail using Google Earth which was slick.

I'm going to wait for the moment on the ones GP found until the maps improve, which sounds like it will be soon.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I are planning to hike the length of the SHT in stages. Aside from calling a cab or driving two vehicles to parking areas, especially when getting way up north, do any experienced hikers on this trail (resisting the acronym) know of any shuttles or anything to transport people to and from? Hiking 10 miles one way is better than 5 miles up, 5 miles back. Cuts the time in half needed too.

My long term goal would be to attach a scooter to the truck.

I trust the bookmark list is intact. Will be using it often, I hope!
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
I trust the bookmark list is intact. Will be using it often, I hope!

Sorry, I can't answer the question about transportation but it looks like some of the caches in the list have been archived, including my There's an Elephant in Lincoln Park! so just skip the ones that are crossed out.
CharleneMae
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, check out the SHT website. www.shta.org

On the website, they offer a link to a shuttle service.

http://www.superiorhikingshuttle.com/

My husband used it a few years back and it worked out well for them. They scheduled it to pick them up at their car and drop them off at a certain point X miles down the trail. Then they hiked back to the car.

Make sure you find out if you need permission to park overnight at whatever location you are visiting. They parked in a State Park for a couple days but needed permission to do so.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharleneMae wrote:
Yes, check out the SHT website. www.shta.org

On the website, they offer a link to a shuttle service.

http://www.superiorhikingshuttle.com/

My husband used it a few years back and it worked out well for them. They scheduled it to pick them up at their car and drop them off at a certain point X miles down the trail. Then they hiked back to the car.

Make sure you find out if you need permission to park overnight at whatever location you are visiting. They parked in a State Park for a couple days but needed permission to do so.

THANK YOU for the great link and advice. I promise I will not knowingly download any archived caches, ESPECIALLY Elephant in Lincoln. As one of only nine dnfr's during the life of that cache, I have been haunted of the memory of that cache every time I am in the neighborhood.

First stage of hike planned for this weekend! Gotta get those Inga puzzles figured out now...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: