MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suction Cup GPS Mounts Illegal in Minnesota

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Suction Cup GPS Mounts Illegal in Minnesota Reply with quote

I was doing some research on the Garmin Nuvi for a buddy of mine interested in using a GPS for road routing only and found this gem on the Garmin page for users in California and Minnesota:

Quote:
NOTICE TO DRIVERS IN CALIFORNIA AND MINNESOTA: State law prohibits drivers in California and Minnesota from using suction mounts on their windshields while operating motor vehicles. Other Garmin dashboard or friction mounting options should be used. Garmin does not take any responsibility for any fines, penalties, or damages that may be incurred as a result of disregarding this notice. (See California Vehicle Code Section 26708(a); Minnesota Statutes 2005, Section 169.71)

IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thing placed so it blocks any of your vision through your front windshield is illegal in MN that is not factory installed. That includes anything hanging from your rear view mirror or a gps on a sand bag or any other mounting system.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue that a dash mounted or sandbag is legal...

Subdivision 1. [PROHIBITIONS GENERALLY; EXCEPTIONS.] No (a)
1.10 A person shall not drive or operate any motor vehicle with:
1.11 (1) a windshield cracked or discolored to an extent to
1.12 limit or obstruct proper vision, or, except for law enforcement
1.13 vehicles, with;
1.14 (2) any objects suspended between the driver and the
1.15 windshield, other than sun visors and rear vision rearview
1.16 mirrors,; or with
1.17 (3) any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon
1.18 the front windshield, sidewings, or side or rear windows of such
1.19 the vehicle, other than a certificate or other paper required to
1.20 be so displayed by law, or authorized by the state director of
1.21 the Division of Emergency Management, or the commissioner of
1.22 public safety.

It is not suspended, nor ON any of the windows. The above is the text directly from the state xgr website.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of anyone else who has been ticketed for this kind of thing? I've had a suction-cup based fuzz buster for years and never have been stopped for it.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is 99% of the time you won't get a ticket. I'm guessing most cops see this as an "add on" citation. Meaning if you are pulled over some may warn you about it, some may not even care, but I have a feeling the majority of the time it has been written up as a citation the person was a complete jerk to the officer and thus got the added bonus of that law being enforced. I didn't know about it until about a year ago when I saw that on the Garmin site. It seems pretty obscure and stupid really. The only part I didn't cut and paste over was the part saying law enforcement is exempt from it. Nice do as I say not as I do lawmaking in Minnesota.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had a state trooper on the news here a few months ago and he said anything between you and your windshield not factory installed is an illegal obstruction as the above states. It has to be below the dash. They asked him about the state park stickers you are required to put on your windshield and he had no comment.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:
They asked him about the state park stickers you are required to put on your windshield and he had no comment.

Laughing

That's excellent! I find this to be a law I can ignore when it suits me, just like jay-walking. If I get hit with a ticket, so be it.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
Does anyone know of anyone else who has been ticketed for this kind of thing? I've had a suction-cup based fuzz buster for years and never have been stopped for it.

My only knowledge of a specific area that looks for this is Stillwater. Don't drive through that area on a weekend with ANYTHING on your windshield or hanging from rearview mirror...this includes any parking passes. According to the state law, you're supposed to remove the parking pass from the mirror prior to driving.

Stillwater is the only one I know enforcing it a lot due to the weekend traffic along the river....plus the traffic heading through there to Somerset.

CW
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 3/29/2006?
MNMizzou wrote:
Totally random note on the suction cup type things... technically those are illegal in the state of Minnesota. Odd, but true... if you go to Garmin's webpage and look under accesories the suction cup style holders for GPS units come with a disclaimer that they are illegal to use in MN and somehwere else... complete with a link to the XGR's website that has the law. Nothing like the folks in St. Paul protecting us from ourselves some more.

Having said all that I'm not going to stop using my suction cup style Garmin GPS holder, but if you want to follow the law you now know.... and knowings half the battle.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Wolf and Wild Rice wrote:
From 3/29/2006?
MNMizzou wrote:
Totally random note on the suction cup type things... technically those are illegal in the state of Minnesota. Odd, but true... if you go to Garmin's webpage and look under accesories the suction cup style holders for GPS units come with a disclaimer that they are illegal to use in MN and somehwere else... complete with a link to the XGR's website that has the law. Nothing like the folks in St. Paul protecting us from ourselves some more.

Having said all that I'm not going to stop using my suction cup style Garmin GPS holder, but if you want to follow the law you now know.... and knowings half the battle.

Thanks, I suck.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just proof positive that Beer kills brain cells. LOL!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: