MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone help?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Can anyone help? Reply with quote

I am hoping that some of you can give me some ideas as to what my upgrade from my existing gps should be.

Since I just came into a nice sum of money Surprised Very Happy (courtesy of the MN State Lottery Wink ) I am going to upgrade my current GPS (Magellan Sportrak Map), I still like my Sportrak. I have been looking for a while now, but now that I actually have some money I can purchase one. I had been thinking of a Garmin V (I think thats what it's called). If anyone has any other suggestions could you please let me know? Thanks,
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as the happy owner of a Garmin V , I say you can't go wrong with it. But they have been out for a while now and may be going out of style. I'm a little disappointed with the limited memory (19 meg) and the bulky size. The newest (as far as I know) Garmin on the market, or soon to be, is the Garmin 60CS. Large color screen, electronic compass, barometer, 54 meg of memory, special geocaching capabilites, and much more I'm sure I haven't seen or remembered.

As far as Magellen products, I really don't know but I know there are some geocachers on this forum that can tell you more about them.

If you got the dough, get the best and maybe I can live vicariously through your wallet. I'd like a new one and I've only had this one less than 6 months!

--EDIT--Or you can get the latest and greatest which I just reread in Silent Bob's post, the Garmin 76CS.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice....i hope you won big...hmmm...anybody wanna go to the next cache place by loneeagle???
murph
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I would look at the GPSMap60C or the CS. The C is out and the CS should be out in the next couple of weeks. Also there is a 76C and CS series coming out. I think the C will be out in a couple of weeks and the CS will be out the end of June if you can wait. Check around a bit and take your time. I know you won yourself some money but let's do spend it hastly unless you just want to send some to me.

Laughing Laughing
murph
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still considering the Magellan Meridian Color, but seeing how I didn't win the lottery, I will have to wait. The pluses for that model are the ability to use removable SD cards so your mapping memory is vitually unlimited, especially since you won the lottery. Also, the color screen would be nice to have.

Most also come with the new navigational software that will talk to you and tell you where to turn, etc. I don't know how good it is but I think that would be very usefull when finding your way to a cache, especially a metro cache, so you don't have to keep looking at the laptop while driving.

tomslusher
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
nice....i hope you won big...hmmm...anybody wanna go to the next cache place by loneeagle???

Maybe loneeagle will place a new one, I've been itching for a first to find prize Very Happy
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys. I have done some checking on the two units recommended. It looks like the 60 cs would probably be the better unit for me. Just so you all know, I got lucky Shocked on one of the T-Wolves scratch offs. Went down to Marshall on Friday and collected my check for $2500.00. Very Happy I couldn't believe my luck. Probably won't be placing a cache until sometime later next month. Maybe it will have to be Lottery themed? We'll see!
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope you saved all your losing tickets so you can offset the income on your tax return.

Idea If not, I've seen a few used tickets in caches that might help.
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with the V. I have a III+, love it. My friend has a V, I'd prefer that now:)
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Garmin III. Love it. Would like to upgrade to a V at somepoint maybe. Haven't really looked any thing else to recommend. Don't forget you will have to pay your taxes on the winnings. They do have your number.

Like they said start collecting used tickets so you can offset the winning. Otherwise don't spend more than 60% of your winnings. Uncle Sugar will take the rest. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: