MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offloading groups of caches from GPS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RubberToes wrote:
Go to the Map Points screen and change the Map Points setting from Auto to another setting -- say 5 miles. Doing so should allow you to see your custom POI points that are within 5 miles.

Thanks!
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RT! I had tried auto but when that didn't display anything I was confused...
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to select which databases are displayed or is it all or none?
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to click the menu button and select your database from there.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5savages wrote:
You should be able to click the menu button and select your database from there.

I see the option in the find menu but not the map menu. Selecting a db through the find menu doesn't appear to affect the map.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
5savages wrote:

I see the option in the find menu but not the map menu. Selecting a db through the find menu doesn't appear to affect the map.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your question before. I know of no way to select which database is displayed on the map.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
5savages wrote:

Selecting a database will only affect the list that shows up in the find. The map is going to display all custom POIs.

I thought about using custom POI for all my waypoints, but I found I didn't like it.

Here's how I handle my waypoints and custom POI:

1. I regularly donwload 500 or so regular waypoints for my home area or any special area I'm giong to visit. These behave as you would expect.

2. Less frequently, I download custom POIs of the whole state. I have my custom POIs setup to download quite a bit of cache information in the filename and I also download the hints (or what fits of the hints) into the custom POI comment area. The comment field in custom POIs holds 88 characters.

For most of my general geocaching, I use the regular waypoints.

However, if I suddently find myself in an area I hadn't planned to be in, I can use the custom POIs to find some caches. Also, if I find I need a hint for a regular cache in my area, I can check the custom POI for that waypoint.

I tried several of the GSAK macros for downloading custom POIs and the one I liked best was this one. For my use, though, I've modified it some to include characters that show whether a cache is archived or temporarily disabled.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RubberToes wrote:
Here's how I handle my waypoints and custom POI:

That's exactly how I go about it, except for how I set up the waypoint names.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
RubberToes wrote:
Go to the Map Points screen and change the Map Points setting from Auto to another setting -- say 5 miles. Doing so should allow you to see your custom POI points that are within 5 miles.

Thanks!

This didn't work with my old firmware. I updated, and now it works great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: