MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPSr Signal Strength

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: GPSr Signal Strength Reply with quote

I'm curious as to how often people get very strong signal strength on their GPSr. I was driving to a cache yesterday and all my bars on my satellite page were over the top bar on the strength section. I had every satellite locked in and my accuracy was 8-9 feet. Check out the photo:

Photo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: GPSr Signal Strength Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I'm curious as to how often people get very strong signal strength on their GPSr. I was driving to a cache yesterday and all my bars on my satellite page were over the top bar on the strength section. I had every satellite locked in and my accuracy was 8-9 feet. Check out the photo:

Photo

I never look at that page since I have the accuracy field on my compass page. I imagine it's pretty common anytime you're in an open area with a view of the horizon all around.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually only look at it when I'm powering up, but I've never seen all my bars locked in at full strength before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of an overlooked thing.

I've actually learned when I'm taking coordinates to check the signal strength and satellite configuration. If I notice either the satellites aren't in a good dispersed pattern, or the signal strength is too low, the coordinates I get aren't going to be terribly accurate, no matter how many feet of accuracy my GPSr is telling me I have.

It works in reverse when I'm caching too, if I'm having trouble zeroing in on a cache site, I'll look at the Satellite page to see what I'm getting.

(of course this is the part where everyone says "I've always done that" and I get a bit Embarassed )
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: GPSr Signal Strength Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:

When I'm on a highway it does that. Never anywhere else.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What SB said.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, itís only when Iím on the highway, with the GPSr on the dash, and the windshield wipers turned off. Only small clouds on the horizon, and Iím in the center lane.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx. I get maxed out bars when I am in my basement during a snowy blizzard. Wink
Bad_CRC
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a moth flies within 30 feet over my garmin etrex legend, I lose signal and have to stand still for 5 minutes while it reaquires.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: