MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocaching is officially BANNED in National Wildlife Refuges

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Geocaching is officially BANNED in National Wildlife Refuges Reply with quote

According to an email posted on Geocaching.com's forums caching has been banned in all NWR's and is punishible by jail time and/or fine.

Please read the thread here.

Silent Bob
bobhiker
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Thanks for the information. I will pull the one I have in a NWR. Sure is to bad we can't cache in the NWRs, but hunters can tramp where ever they please. Oh well.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobhiker wrote:
but hunters can tramp where ever they please. Oh well.

And they can leave their numerous beer cans and other refuse all over the woods... Nothing like being forced out of another area because no one wants to deal with it.

I guess we are slightly biased.

Silent Bob
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://midwest.fws.gov/MinnesotaValley/lands.html

I guess that's why A.L.F. was removed by the officers. I wonder if he had to be handcuffed?

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
bobhiker
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused I have nothing against hunting, I used to do it myself. But bow hunting is allowed down here (where A.L.F. is located) from about September until the end of December. Now you take your average die-hard hunter who has his or hers favorite tree, hikes in before sunrise, and then out before noon, and in again before sunset, and out again after dark. Do you think a trail will be created!
Do you think cachers would create this kind of traffic in a four month period. This is not to mention that cachers don't climb the trees, and they don't shoot at the wildlife. And they call it a Wildlife Refuge.
I am not a tree hugger, nor an animal activist, but I just do not get why there should be anything wrong with geocaching in and carrying trash out in our NWRs. It is mainly a lack of knowledge and education on the administrators part as to the positives of geocaching and how much it is a family friendly activity.
I love this area around this cache(A.L.F.) I have pulled a cache that I had nearby to comply with the law. But I really would not have participated in this activity if I really thought that it would harm the area around it. In fact, an area around a cache site is usually cleaner than other areas of parks.
I will work on making my cache in this area a virtual cache. There is too much history down here. Is anyone interested in seeing: old farm homesteads with buildings still standing, the site of a Dakota indian village, indian burial mounds, the site of an early 1800s trading post, a huge rock bigger than most houses, old dumps with interesting things to look at, and even the location of some natural springs.
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobhiker, Yes, I'm interested. Those sites are a good part of why my family geocaches. Of all the posts Ive read on the big forums board, I think your post here states the case better and more appropriately than most. Simple and to the point. Please consider cross posting it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Irvingdog
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Bobhiker and especially Marsha and Bob Reply with quote

Please don't break your arm trying to pat yourselves on your back. Silent Bob, I frequently hear a tone to your posts that leads me to believe you consider yourself an "Enlightened" person. Feel free to think that you are being "called out" on making terribly incorrect stereo-types of hunting sportsmen and Women. Yeah, were all a bunch of beer swilling bubbas wiling to take pot-shots at anything that crawls, walks or flys. If people with that self righteous attitude stepped outside of there glorious land of make believe, they'd see just how wrong they are.

I'll bet you a weeks salary that I do more, and contribute more to the environment than you do at any point over the last 20 years of my life. Proceeds of said wager go to any NWR you choose.

Sorry gang, but I like rules. It's what prevents hunters from building platforms in the trees for deer hunting and leaving them year-round. And I can imagine a skilled laywer arguing that a Geocache isn't really all that much different from the abandoned car their client left in the NWR.

I love geocaching. I love hunting. I love a healthy, natural eco-system. And FYI to all the self-righteous cachers out there, I'm not the only one........
Your Halo is dimming...........

P.S. I don't have to look very far to find posts about geocachers leaving waste and trash where it doesn't belong. Littering is littering. Bad behavior is just that.
Now feel free to flame.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit a raw nerve, did he. Irvingdog? Laughing
bobhiker
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all for rules and following them also. I was not ripping on hunters in my above post. I just wanted to compare one activity that is allowed to one that is not. Hunting is nessesary to regulate game numbers and there is a whole book of rules to follow. I was comparing a hunters favorite tree to a cache. I do not believe there is a rule limiting a tree to single use hunting. Therefore I am assuming most hunters return to their favorite tree several times. This is not bad, but I was just comparing it to the traffic and the formation of a trail to a cache. Hunting is allowed, caching is not. Huh. Confused
bobhiker
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Today me and my daughter went snow shoeing in the wildlife refuge. We went to the refuge headquarters just south of 494 next to the airport, and they have free use of snow shoes. You just need a drivers license and then you can check them out for the day.
I asked the ranger on duty where we could go. She said, "Just go down the trail until you see the sign strung across it that says the trail is closed. Then go under the rope and then go where ever you want."

We snow shoed everywhere but on the trail! And it was OK. Interesting. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: