MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin software upgrades released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information on the updates. For whatever reason, Garmin's auto update (or whatever they call it) has never worked here either.

BTW...There is also an update for Mapsource (3-9-07). At first glance, it put a 'mini map' in the upper right hand corner that helps a little in navigating when zoomed in.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
ghost640 wrote:
I just checked - whatever you used last ends up in the upper left corner of the find screen, and the rest shift to the right.

Yes, I figured that out. You have "auto ordering" on. Press "Find" and then "Menu" and make sure you are using "Default Order"

ghost640 wrote:
I don't see anything that allows a real-time sort of nearest caches though, maybe this was a feature that was dropped. Hey, but hitting Find twice does the same thing, how about that?

Yes, I like the recent find feature. But there are no other options under "Find" and I looked quick through the main menu and couldn't find it. I tried opening the manual online but it crashed Firefox. I'll try again.

Yes, nice to know you can turn it off - I actually like having Geocache as the first Find option, it makes it easy to pull up nearby geocaches while driving (and doesn't interfere as much with my talking on the cell phone).

The Recent Finds option is not very useful to me (why go back?), I really need a Recent Did-Not-Find!. Garmin doesn't quite get the gist of the sport...
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not updating until I get back from MOGA. I'm not even going to take the chance of screwing up my GPSr days before the big event.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost640 wrote:

The Recent Finds option is not very useful to me (why go back?), I really need a Recent Did-Not-Find!. Garmin doesn't quite get the gist of the sport...

"Recent Finds" isn't just about geocaches. It's about ANYthing waypoint or POI that you've accessed. On the Legend Cx it remembers the last 50 points you've found. Say you searched on an address one day and within 50 searches, you wanted to bring it up again. Rather than go through the address entry, you could bring up recent finds and scroll down.

Funny comment though!
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost640 wrote:

That'd be a great feature, but you could change the icon to a different color or something, then search by icon.
5savages wrote:
"Recent Finds" isn't just about geocaches. It's about ANYthing waypoint or POI that you've accessed.

Also a great feature except I am always searching for nearest caches so my recent find list is useless. Smile
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Wolf and Wild Rice wrote:
Thanks for the information on the updates. For whatever reason, Garmin's auto update (or whatever they call it) has never worked here either.

BTW...There is also an update for Mapsource (3-9-07). At first glance, it put a 'mini map' in the upper right hand corner that helps a little in navigating when zoomed in.

Thanks Grey Wolf, I'll check it out. There is also a new set of USB drivers - Vista wouldn't recognize my GPS, the upgrade fixes that. Still can't get Cachemate & Vista working right though...
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else noticed that after upgrading when you are in the compass view looking for a cache/waypoint, pressing the quit button no longer takes you back to the map page? This bothers me, When I'm looking for parking, I do that a lot, now I have to hit page and got forward until i get to the map page.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I noticed the same thing. Hopefully they fix it in a new release soon.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that after upgrading when you are in the compass view looking for a cache/waypoint, pressing the quit button no longer takes you back to the map page? This bothers me, When I'm looking for parking, I do that a lot, now I have to hit page and got forward until i get to the map page.

I haven't upgrade but I'm used to pressing quit button also. It's easier than pressing the page button. Maybe you could change the order of the pages so that the map page is after the compass page?
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
Maybe you could change the order of the pages so that the map page is after the compass page?

Nope....Quit is like the "End of the Road". It no longer cycles around like before. You need to press the 'Page' key to cycle through the screens.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the same thing today, It's a bit of a bummer, but I'm happy to hear that it's not just me.

Quit will move you backwards on other pages, but not from the Compass to the Map page.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know (you probably do) that you can disable screens? I've got mine down to 4 - Satellite, Map, Compass, & Main.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 3.30 (released March 26th):

Code:
Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:

* Fix potential shutdown when searching UK extended postal codes.
    * Ensure that all UK extended postal code search results are shown.
    * Enable the Quit button function on the geocache compass page.

RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a quick update. Thank Pearhead for posting the notice.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Version 3.30 (released March 26th):

Code:
Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:

* Fix potential shutdown when searching UK extended postal codes.
    * Ensure that all UK extended postal code search results are shown.
    * Enable the Quit button function on the geocache compass page.

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00468-00
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: