MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GEM
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: GEM Reply with quote

What is Geocachers Exploring Minnesota?

Does it still exist?

Who is in charge of it?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
merkman
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEM is a caching group in Minnesota. I'm not aware of any particular leader in it, but it certainly exists. It is comprised of some of the first geocachers in Minnesota. They're a fun group of people and they focus more around events rather than policy changes to geocaching in Minnesota. KC0GRN and KingBoreas can give you more info.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they are Minnesota's first organized caching group, or was there an organized Minnesota caching group before them?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:
So they are Minnesota's first organized caching group, or was there an organized Minnesota caching group before them?

GEM as it exists today is not the same GEM that existed then. Something like Commodore.
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like some of the history is covered in a thread somewhere. I haven't been around long enough to have witnessed the early stages, and if I ever knew the whole story, I've forgotten it by now. But that won't stop me from typing what I think I know.

I believe GEM was a loose knit statewide organization of geocachers that morphed into the MnGCA. I don't know who were members of GEM - and it was likely a group of like minded people rather than a real defined membership, but it would be greybeards (male and female) like bobhiker, RJ, Centris, King Boreas, Towlebooth, Jillibean and I'm sure a whole lot more.

Like I said, I believe that GEM morphed into the MnGCA when it's leaders decided that an official Association in the state of Minnesota would provide the legitimacy and weight needed to work with the DNR and other entities to open up caching. This was probably in response to the DNR kicking us out of the state parks. I'm pretty sure that several members of GEM never joined the MnGCA since as an official association the MnGCA is required by the state to have its members record their actual names and addresses and some people feel this is an invasion of privacy.

So whether any of the former members of GEM feel that the group still exists or not, I haven't a clue. I do see King Boreas listing events using GEM as a host. My guess is that this is either a barb, or some nostalgic feeling, but maybe a group of them feel the club or whatever it was still exists.

The old timers did a tremendous amount of work getting geocaching started in the state. Towlebooth setting up the forums (again, as far as I know), KB giving people caches to look for, far sighted leadership provided by some of the others noted.

Like I said, I know that I don't have the real story. I, for one, would like to see an accurate history article written which would allow new cachers, or middle aged cachers like me, to know how Minnesota caching got its start, and how the MnGCA got its start. It would be a good thing to have linked to by the MnGCA home page.

Or I suppose you could just say it all came about like Commodore.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEM ended when there was a disagreement with the founder (I forget her name) and some of the other members (Bobhiker, towlebooth, Centris, and some that haven't been around since the VERY early days of the MnGCA). She owned the domain and the website and yanked em both.

Because the domain was gone (mngeo.com IIRC) the rest of the interested individuals had to start another organization and the MnGCA was formed.

Chad or Nola would know more but what Ian is doing isn't anything more than I stated above -- an organization that is nothing more than a name which in the grand scheme is fine as long as everyone involved with the events are happy.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:
The old timers did a tremendous amount of work getting geocaching started in the state. Towlebooth setting up the forums (again, as far as I know), KB giving people caches to look for, far sighted leadership provided by some of the others noted.

Like I said, I know that I don't have the real story. I, for one, would like to see an accurate history article written which would allow new cachers, or middle aged cachers like me, to know how Minnesota caching got its start, and how the MnGCA got its start. It would be a good thing to have linked to by the MnGCA home page.

I did a search of GEM on the MnGCA Website and didnít come up with much.

I checked out some of the old webpages with the wayback machine, but there isnít too much history available.

I think that an accurate history article, without the politics of it all (if that is possible), is a wonderful idea. It would be good to capture as much of that info before too many of these people go their separate ways. I also think the founders (the old timers) of geocaching in Minnesota should be recognized. That may be a good way to recognize them.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best recognition of the "old timers" was finishing the project they started back in 2002 when the MnGCA was formed -- getting caches back in the State Parks.

As far as a history without politics would be:

GEM was the first geoaching organiztion in Minnesota which was shortly followed up by the MnGCA which has carried through until today.

I don't know what else there would be to say.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got in touch w/Chad and he's going to contribute his knowledge to this thread. I also asked if he would be willing to talk to me about it during the MOGA trip and he said he would do that as well.

Maybe we can get this all done up once and for all -- politics included Wink
Posen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just toured GEM's new 8-story headquarters on 494 and 100, and it's wonderful! The archived cache container museum alone is a site to behold....(so much Tupperware, so little time)

From what I can tell, GEM seems to thrive on wonderfulness and happy caching as in days of yore (okay, since when have "days of yore" been just 6 years ago, I know...lame, but it's all I've got).

I don't think GEM has much more push, power or pull than RAGS (Roseville Area Geocache Society--"Saving leftovers one Tupperware at a time") or Riches (Rhode Island Cache Hounds Exploring Swampgrass--"Finding caches one tuft at a time")....it's just a group having fun.

Near as I can figure, there's no way to get in or out of most of these kinds of caching groups...like the Wednesday Evening Cache Crew (WECC?!?)...who's in and who's out...how do you get in, how do you get out?

...don't sweat it...just have fun, there's no whining, admit that we all suck at finding caches, and keep looking.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posen wrote:
I just toured GEM's new 8-story headquarters on 494 and 100, and it's wonderful! The archived cache container museum alone is a site to behold....(so much Tupperware, so little time)

Funny thing though, when you try to get there using GPS coordinates it puts you about 60 feet off... must have used a Magellan in those early days! My personal favorite part was the tribute to mosquitos, and the impact they have had on caching as a whole. It really made me think.

Enough reflecting though, I now have to go out and not find more caches, as I've been doing lately, which is really odd since I just had Lasik done, you'd think I could see them better??
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, my favorite exhibit at the site was the, wait, the, wait, the:

Video clip of Slient Bob doing the Tick Dance. Very Happy
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's forever ingrained in Moe and Hooligan's memories.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
The best recognition of the "old timers" was finishing the project they started back in 2002 when the MnGCA was formed -- getting caches back in the State Parks.

Very good point
Posen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was glad to see they didn't have the clip of Posen and Savanna doing the "dance of the angry hornet's nest" from last fall...that was a scary thing for our 7-year-old to watch...not even bad words, but many, many stings. Are we sure this is fun?!?!? Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: