MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Better GPSr - GPSMAP 60CSx vs. GPSMAP76CSx
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 02 Sep 2003

Posts: 6261

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
It's funny you mentioned the button placement as a factor in deciding between the 60 and 76... we were at REI last night looking at the two and I liked the 60 over the 76 for that reason. I think I'm used to having buttons below a screen, similar to a cell phone, which I've used for years one handed while balancing a 25 pound TV camera on my shoulder with the other hand.

Cell phones are more balanced in your hand. The 60 series is top heavy and supporting the weight of the unit while typing at the bottom is uncomfortable in my experience.
_________________
Sad state of affairs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
celticwulf
Geocacher


Joined: 24 Oct 2005

Posts: 685

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
MNMizzou wrote:
It's funny you mentioned the button placement as a factor in deciding between the 60 and 76... we were at REI last night looking at the two and I liked the 60 over the 76 for that reason. I think I'm used to having buttons below a screen, similar to a cell phone, which I've used for years one handed while balancing a 25 pound TV camera on my shoulder with the other hand.

Cell phones are more balanced in your hand. The 60 series is top heavy and supporting the weight of the unit while typing at the bottom is uncomfortable in my experience.


Yeah, that's kinda what I saw too. With the 76 series you have most of the weight of the unit resting in the palm of your hand while thumbing in numbers, where the 60 series you are trying to support the unit just on your fingers. From what I saw, it was easier to put numbers in the 60 with both hands, where the 76 was easier to do just one handed.

But if you've tried it out and put some coords in, and like the 60 better, that's cool too...they both work better than Jambro's Magellan Laughing

Celticwulf
_________________
Who put this trail here???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher


Joined: 31 May 2005

Posts: 383

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:


Yeah, that's kinda what I saw too. With the 76 series you have most of the weight of the unit resting in the palm of your hand while thumbing in numbers, where the 60 series you are trying to support the unit just on your fingers. From what I saw, it was easier to put numbers in the 60 with both hands, where the 76 was easier to do just one handed.


This sure is a lot of discussion about putting in coordinates manually. Covering the screen vs. where the unit rests?

99.9999% of the time I download them to my current GPS. I have to wait for my 60csx until Christmas... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

$350 after rebate on Amazon.

But a funny story....We were caching with someone that has a 60cs and well over 4000 finds. We were doing a multi and she didn't know how to manually enter the coordinates.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 02 Sep 2003

Posts: 6261

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me guess. 4000 finds and 3999 are traditionals. Blah.
_________________
Sad state of affairs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher


Joined: 31 May 2005

Posts: 383

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Let me guess. 4000 finds and 3999 are traditionals. Blah.


Not quite...but close....we entered the coordinates into our Magellan and let her tag along.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 02 Sep 2003

Posts: 6261

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Wolf and Wild Rice wrote:
Not quite...but close....we entered the coordinates into our Magellan and let her tag along.

I'm surprised you found the cache Wink Wink Wink
_________________
Sad state of affairs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher


Joined: 31 May 2005

Posts: 383

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:

I'm surprised you found the cache Wink Wink Wink


Someday I'll have to tell Jambro how to compensate for the 'Boomerang' effect on Magellans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 02 Sep 2003

Posts: 6261

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Wolf and Wild Rice wrote:
Someday I'll have to tell Jambro how to compensate for the 'Boomerang' effect on Magellans.

I'm sure he's familiar with that: buy a Garmin.
_________________
Sad state of affairs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
celticwulf
Geocacher


Joined: 24 Oct 2005

Posts: 685

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Wolf and Wild Rice wrote:
celticwulf wrote:


Yeah, that's kinda what I saw too. With the 76 series you have most of the weight of the unit resting in the palm of your hand while thumbing in numbers, where the 60 series you are trying to support the unit just on your fingers. From what I saw, it was easier to put numbers in the 60 with both hands, where the 76 was easier to do just one handed.


This sure is a lot of discussion about putting in coordinates manually. Covering the screen vs. where the unit rests?

99.9999% of the time I download them to my current GPS. I have to wait for my 60csx until Christmas... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

$350 after rebate on Amazon.

But a funny story....We were caching with someone that has a 60cs and well over 4000 finds. We were doing a multi and she didn't know how to manually enter the coordinates.


LOL...yeah, I just refered to the "manual input" because I know when I hit multi's I need to input coords, so it seemed like the easiest way to describe. In reality, it's more just the standard moving from screen to screen that is easier for me with the 76, it just sits in my hand better when needing to change screens or switch to the next nearest cache Smile

CW
_________________
Who put this trail here???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 17 Jan 2006

Posts: 1931

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of having the buttons out of the way of my fingers when I'm carrying the GPS. 95% of the time you don't need to do anything... just follow the arrow. I don't know how many time I've hit the 'found' key accidently on my eTrex Legend C... a pain in the butt to go change it back and resetup the find.

I prefer traditionals over multis, so I'm very rarely putting coords into my GPSr ala thumb on the trail.
_________________
The Lucid Network (tm)-- More Bars in More Places!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GeoPierce
Geocacher


Joined: 16 Nov 2005

Posts: 1657

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
I don't know how many time I've hit the 'found' key accidently on my eTrex Legend C... a pain in the butt to go change it back and resetup the find.

I've done that a lot on my 60Cx. Something else that bugs me is after I autoroute to a cache and park my car, I have to press "Find" and "Goto" again and select "Offroad" before heading into the woods. 76 is probably the same but it's minor issue.
_________________
Tupperware doesn't belong in the kitchen!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 17 Jan 2006

Posts: 1931

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

76 is the same... I hate that too.
_________________
The Lucid Network (tm)-- More Bars in More Places!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 04 Apr 2004

Posts: 5703

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally broke down and bought a new GPS. I told my wife tonight on the phone that I was ready to drive over my existing one (a Geko 201). It has basically stopped receiving satellites when it wants to (which is whenever you're getting within a 1/2 mile of a cache). I spent over 30 minutes tonight waiting for the stupid thing to start working again so I could continue caching. No cacher should have to go through that, ever.

This thread was a help in trying to decide what I wanted. I knew from experience that I didn't want anything in the eTrex line. I also don't care about the mapping features of a GPS (ie. I don't want to pay for them), but I really want one of the new 'x' models since they supposedly receive so much better. I figured that this GPS will have to last me a number of years (until it breaks), so I should probably get a decent one. That leaves two models, the 60 and 76.

I opted for a 76 even though it seems like such a larger unit than the 60 (really I don't think it is though if you compare the dimensions). The price difference between a 60Cx and 76Cx on Amazon was $2. The price difference between a 76Cx and 76CSx on Amazon was $24. I figured if I'm spending over $300 on a new unit, what's another $24, right?

I'm supposed to get it Thursday. Just in time for a weekend full of caching. I'm sure this will also improve my MOGA team abilities.... Cool
_________________
Hmm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FlagFinder
Geocacher


Joined: 21 Jan 2007

Posts: 84

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now i have a 60 cx and a 210 my magellan gets better accuracy to the point it beats the 60 after about 10 mins, the port is waterproof so i dont have to use a rubber cap to cover it and its far cheaper. now my 60 is more durable i love the geocaching mode and i love how it works with my windows 98! even though this unit was made in 2006 and the 210 came out in 2003. my problem with both is maps are so confusing im not loaded to buy them so i try to make them which is incredibly hard then i find out they wont load in good grief... Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
FlagFinder
Geocacher


Joined: 21 Jan 2007

Posts: 84

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im noticing... whats wrong with magellan! i mean come on nice units i must admit my 210 i love it and i dont want to sell it but i think i should seeing how i dont think ill use it knowing i have a "better" unit. plus i did get it for a remarkable price at REI as a bundle. i think i can still get a profit but when i got to the store they were out of the 210's so mine was imported from mexico! Laughing but really is jambros unit that bad?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.