MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cell Phones with GPS navigation....geocaching able?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Cell Phones with GPS navigation....geocaching able? Reply with quote

I've been noticing more and more cell phones coming out with GPS navigation. Does anyone here own one? I am assuming you can only navigate "destinations" by typing in the address you want....is this how they work??
Also, do they work from the same system are handhelds work from (meaning they need a clear view to the sky?) or do they do there calculations from cell towers (which might mean they would work indoors)

Any input would be appreciated

Shawn
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how they work....this guy found one of my parents caches with his phone though, then logged it right then and there.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=7fa5c566-be43-4850-8d17-7e62d4b7bd8f
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont even need to use your gps if you have a phone that can do this

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=148800

Sounds like most people who try it like it.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some link on geocaching.com that talked about using your phone to find caches. It's a third party service and requires a phone from Nextel, Sprint, or some other that has GPS.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextel's will give you you position in coordinates, but they do not update automatically like a GPS reciever does. You can find caches, but in a very crude manner.....ie: no goto....just compare the coordinates to where you need to go to.

It uses satelites...not cell towers. Works best with the back facing skyward.

Newer models may do more. Mine is about 3 years old. In cell phone life....that's ancient.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocachenavigator.com/
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my verizon phone with VZ Navigator to find France Geo Beacons but I wouldn't recommend it.

From my log:

Quote:
I was at a disadvantage looking for this one. I jotted down the coordinates, thinking my gps was in the truck, but it turns out I left it at home. I ended up using the gps function in my cell phone. There's no way to enter coordinates, but I can get it to tell me my current coordinates in deg/min/sec units, so I did some quick conversion and went off to look for it. I overshot it by several minutes before I realized my cell phone is very slow to update. After walking very slowly back, I got close enough to ground zero to look.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
http://www.geocachenavigator.com/

Like I said....Mine is ancient. Model not listed. Still works for what it was supposed to do...make and receive phone calls. Plus, I'm too cheap to get a new one.
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

I have determined from what you all have posted that I am no longer bummed out that the new phone I recently got had everything BUT gps navigation. Sounds like it is not overly useful.

So what CAN you do with a gps phone?? just basic routing from addresses?

what I have concluded so far from your inputs are:

still needs clear view to the sky/ uses satelittes
very slow to update
cannot enter coordinates
does have the ability to view current coordinates (although slow to update)

Sounds like there is no good substitute to just carrying a handheld GPSr

(I have considered adding GPS software to my Pocket PC PDA phone using microsoft streets and trips and a bluetooth reciever....but am afraid I will still be in the same situation of not being able to enter coordinates..and therefore not very useful for geocaching)

So far with my pda phone, I have mp3 music, camera, internet access with a slide out keyboard, large SD card with Rand McNally mapping software, lots of geocaching info from GSAK that I keep updated,....basically can do everything all in 1 package EXCEPT GPS

shawn
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RINO SHAWN wrote:
(I have considered adding GPS software to my Pocket PC PDA phone using microsoft streets and trips and a bluetooth reciever....but am afraid I will still be in the same situation of not being able to enter coordinates..and therefore not very useful for geocaching)

You will be able to upload a CSV (converted from LOC or GPX) of the caches (or arbitrary waypoints) to Streets and Trips to use on your PPC.

It would probably only be useful for in-car use though.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RINO SHAWN wrote:

Tried that. Biggest problem was that the you cannot see the display in daylight. MS S&T's is only useful to nagigate to a destination.

Check out GPS Software for PDA

The Beeline software had an evaluation offer and it seemed to be OK, but visibility of the iPAQ was the biggest drawback.

Still.....I always thought it would be cool to put a Bluetooth GPS reciever on your hat.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RINO SHAWN wrote:
So what CAN you do with a gps phone?? just basic routing from addresses?

what I have concluded so far from your inputs are:

still needs clear view to the sky/ uses satelittes
very slow to update
cannot enter coordinates
does have the ability to view current coordinates (although slow to update)

I love the auto-routing on my cell phone. My GPS, a Garmin Legend, doesn't have it so it's a nice cell phone feature for me. Oddly enough, while the position updating is slow when looking at my current coordinates, it's pretty good when it's telling me where to turn. My guess is that it uses some sort of predictive logic to figure out when to tell you to turn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: